i just dont unnerstand He goes out and pays for all his equipment does all the legwork and finds his very first gold ring. Then hes supposed to go out of his way to find the idiot who lost it

i think he already has find the owner. Him
Boy, Im biting my tongue to keep from saying some things that might get me kicked off this forum. But what I will say, that in my 45 plus years of doing this stuff, I have returned a few rings to those, as he puts it, IDOTS who lost their ring. I don't think anyone looses their ring on purpose unless its a wife that's pissed off (did a recovery for a guy once). Looking back, I can honestly say that none of my returns have made me poorer, nor would they have made me rich had I kept them.
With that said, I have had riches beyond words from peoples smiles that I have returned a ring to. Call it Karma or what ever you want, but by returning some rings, I have made friends and even gotten new places to hunt. Neither of which would have happened if I had kept and sold the ring for a little money.
Once I found a class ring that belonged to a neighbor and I knew it. He was part of a family that had moved, so I was going to set something up, but life got in the way. I was working several jobs at the time and getting very little sleep. One morning, I Woke up and couldn't remember driving home. I drove a motorcycle at the time and had to travel on a road that had seen lots of accidents and loss of life. Those 90 degree turns can be bad, even when you are awake. A guy had been after me to sell my place and we sold it to him the next day. We moved in to town and after getting settled in, someone broke in to our house and stole all of my jewelry, including my grandfathers ring and the class ring I had found. To this day, I regret not just walking over to the neighbors house the day I found it and returned it. Because of me, that person no longer had a chance of getting his ring back. He had no ring to pass down to his children, etc.
So since then, I have made it a point to be the best ambassador of our hobby as I can. So to me, the real idiot is the one that posted against the return of the class ring.