What's new

First gold chain and a cool mystery button.

misplacedrednek

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2006
Messages
303
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a few hours this afternoon and had a blast! I found a 10K gold chain, no detector required. I was digging a penny and glanced over to my left and saw it poking ourt of the dirt! ;D I also found this button, not sure how old it is. It's a crown above an anchor and it has the coin style reeding on the edge. I can't read the backmark so I'm hoping one of the many relic folks on here can help me out based on my pictures. I'm sure it's really old and rare, I hit it with the digger and I only hit valuable items with that. :tongue3: I'll take some more pics and experiment with the lighting, might get a better take. Thanks for looking.

Matt
 

Attachments

  • sept42011 001.webp
    sept42011 001.webp
    26 KB · Views: 660
  • sept42011 004.webp
    sept42011 004.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 663
  • sept42011 002.webp
    sept42011 002.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 651
  • sept42011 003.webp
    sept42011 003.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 657
Upvote 0
Oh Man, that looks like a good button there. Clean it up a little so I can see if it's what I think it is. :wink: So sad it got nicked man
 
Sweet finds!! :icon_thumright: Don't quote me on this but the button appears to be a British Navy button from the early 1800's.
 
Congrats on the gold chain you found today Matt! :notworthy:

Wanna trade it for my Barber Dime? :laughing7:

Nice button . . . to bad about the minor indiscretion! :-\

Dave
 
Got the button cleaned a little bit and I can make out most of the writing on the back. Appears to read "LONDON ENGD (the D is set higher than the other letters) J R G?C?AUNT (can't tell if it's a G or C) &. Cant make out the last 3 or 4 characters. Here are a few more pictures, hope this helps to ID it. I wanted to cry when I scratched it btw. :( Thanks everyone.

Matt
 

Attachments

  • button 001.webp
    button 001.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 574
  • button 002.webp
    button 002.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 575
  • button 004.webp
    button 004.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 572
  • button 005.webp
    button 005.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 574
Im pretty sure it says J R GAUNT & SON.....I so need to invest in a magnifying glass.
 
J R GAUNT & SON LTD LONDON ENGD. The LTD part is in smaller letters and some of the letters are offset, not really following the same line as the others around she shank. Thanks again.

Matt
 
misplacedrednek said:
J R GAUNT & SON LTD LONDON ENGD. The LTD part is in smaller letters and some of the letters are offset, not really following the same line as the others around she shank. Thanks again.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Here's a website that shows your button about 3/4 of the way down the page.

http://www.godfreydykes.info/RN_BUTTONS_AND_BADGES.htm

Looks to be a Royal Navy Button of 1827! :icon_thumright:
Dave
 
Thanks. I looked at the picture but it's not quite the same. The one in the pic is a different style of crown.....wish it was the same though. Thanks again for the link.

Matt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom