First Gold Ring Ever In 20+ Years Metal Detecting

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After literally thousands of pull tabs, bottle caps, and pieces of foil, I finally got one!! :hello2: It is marked, but the mark is situated right where it's broke so I couldn't make it out for sure in the field, so I went down to the local jeweler when I got done and it tested at 10K. It's trashed and only 10K but I'm still happy with it!! I went to the old abandoned campground today that I have been working on since January, and decided to take the Ace 350 out for a change since I've had it for about a year and have only used it once. It didn't do too bad, ended up finding the ring, 2 Buffalo Nickels: 1936 and 1937, 14 Wheaties, some clad, another key, a little tag that says Madeleine on it, and 2 Mercury Dimes: 1936 and 1942, which brings my silver coin total up to 39 for the year. If anybody reading this uses an Ace 350, the gold ring came in at the foil range, one notch below nickel, so just goes to show if you use too much discrimination you may be missing some good stuff!!

Attachments

• DSC02311.JPG
    DSC02311.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC02312.JPG
    DSC02312.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC02314.JPG
    DSC02314.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC02317.JPG
    DSC02317.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC02319.JPG
    DSC02319.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC02325.JPG
    DSC02325.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC02326.JPG
    DSC02326.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 8
that's a nice cameo. it looks like a pretty old ring. congrats!

You can't find 100 gold rings until you find the first one! Now go get the other 99! Nice find--Congrats!

Great looking ring, I hope you get it fixed and give it to someone special.

Great finds! Congrats and HH!

I don't always leave the house, but when I do it's with my metal detector. Happy hunting, my friends.

Awesome find congrats on the GOLD!

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully it'll be like you say, now that I got my first the gold will come a lot easier now!!! :icon_thumright:

Beautiful cameo -- this is a very old ring and valuable, and appears to be carved sardonyx. Although I can't see the underside (is it openback or closed back?), it looks early Victorian or possibly late Georgian (9K and 10K is typical for this period), and the bust relief is in the classical style, and possibly one of the Grecian goddesses.

The more obvious Goddesses are easy to ID, but I'm unsure of who this might be depicting. Simply *beautiful*!

Beautiful cameo -- this is a very old ring and valuable, and appears to be carved sardonyx. Although I can't see the underside (is it openback or closed back?), it looks early Victorian or possibly late Georgian (9K and 10K is typical for this period), and the bust relief is in the classical style, and possibly one of the Grecian goddesses.

The more obvious Goddesses are easy to ID, but I'm unsure of who this might be depicting. Simply *beautiful*!

It has an open back on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back