First hand Cache stories?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

deepsix47 said:
Yes, a half dozen or so. There are some rather serious drawbacks to going after them though. One however I will share. There is a rather large fortune in good ole greenbacks buried in the Columbus, GA dump.

In the 90s there was an investor that put up the money for a number of hunts. Phil was one of those investors that was a royal pain in the butt but he always came through with the cash when it was needed. Phil didn't believe in banks. He hid his money at his house. He was pretty wealthy and had the usual trappings, a huge gun collection, jewelry, antiques, etc..

Phil went into the hospital for a routine checkup and the next day died suddenly. His surviving relatives swarmed into his house like a swarm of locusts and emptied it, all the time fighting with each other over who was going to get what. All but two of them were so dedicated to their looting that they even forgot to attend his services.

Several of us had driven up to pay our respects and even offered to help with anything we could. We were told very bluntly that they did not need our help and that if we came around his house they would have us arrested. They were not very nice people. After cleaning out all of the obvious valuables, bringing in a locksmith and opening the safe, etc., they loaded everything else into several dump trailers and hauled it out to the Columbus dump. They put the house up for sale and headed back to the rocks they had crawled out from under.

End of story, NO!!!! A couple of us that knew Phil well also knew where he hid his money. His vast library on firearm related subjects had been of no interest to the loot hungry relatives. All of these books had been boxed up and hauled to the dump. They had hired a couple of local kids to do the packing up and had stiffed them on their wages. Hidden in the pages of these books was Phil's cash. He invested in many different ventures and always had large amounts of cash on hand.

How much was actually in those books I have no idea. I do know that spaced over several occasions I watched Phil pull slightly over $30,000 out of several books. I've often thought back and laughed about those money grubbers and the fortune they tossed away. Had they merely been half way decent about there relative, we would have told them.

Deepsix

I know this is an older thread, but have you, or are you going to, look for this money?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was manager of code enforcement for the city we had a habitual junk collector on a residential lot. He was elderly and appeared destitute so we took it easy on him but the old house was falling down and needed to be demolished for health and safety reasons. We found a daughter but she wasn't much interested in helping the old man. He died of natural causes one day so we processed a demolition and clean up order for the property. It was just the barely standing remains of what once was a nice house and the lot was covered with old wrecked cars, appliances, water fountains, just about anything you can think of on his nearly half acre of land. When the demolition contractor started work, he phoned me and said I'd better come out there and take a look at what they had found. I thought maybe they had found a dead body or something so I had a police officer meet me out there. What we found was thousands of dollars in coin and bills stashed all over the place inside all that junk and cars. We recovered nearly $50,000 in just a couple of hours of looking and didn't cover 10% of the property. We got in touch with the daughter who was the only living relative. Demolition was halted and the lady started cleanining out the lot and did tear down the house herself. I asked her how much she had found at about half finished and she said, "Enough so that me and my husband will never have to work again"! I was unable to contact her after she finished the job and I had an IRS agent visit my office about 3 years later. He was looking for her and her husband. He said they had not paid taxes on a very large amount of money and they had apparently fled the country. I asked how much money and he said he couldn't discuss it but the taxes alone was over a million and a half dollars. I've often wondered just how much money they found and what else of value they might have recovered. That was the only cache of worth I have ever been in contact with. Monty

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Wow. Too bad you didn't stumble onto that while off duty. :-X
There might be more there.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky I don't think so unless it is buried. The lot was cleaned down to bare ground and another structure sits on it now. That was about 15 years ago or more I think. Time is irrelevent now that I am retired. I wish I had been into metal detecting back then. The City finally took the lot for liens and sold it when it was abandoned by the daughter. Monty

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great comments from #41. It is too bad that the old man did not have family members who care for him, and put him in their home or a nursing home. May he rest in Peace.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Here is one for New Years Eve.

Back in the 1980's my girlfriend's neighbor told us that a bar had been shut down at a large hunting lodge in the 1950's, and all the liquor had been placed into boxes and put in the back of a barn. He had seen it many times as a kid, and never messed with it. It was converted into a Christian retreat.

They were selling the house and the property again, and the place was vacant. It was ours if we moved it out. I got a truck and went over there with the key. We got about 16 boxes of mixed bourbon, whiskey and tequilla, all from the 1950's, still in pretty good shape. It lasted a long time.

Here is one more.

My family owned land outside of Redding, Ca. One day while fixing a fence near a public road, my father found a bag that had been quickly buried in the dirt. It had about five pounds of silverware and silver plated ware, including some silver candy dishes in it. The explanation was that some burglars had buried part of their stolden goods at some point on our land, and never came back to retrieve it. We still have a few pieces of it around.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
diggerdan said:
Cache Crazy said:
diggerdan said:
I lived in a small town where an old man had been tortured and murdered by two jail birds for his supposedly cached money. They got caught shortly after the crime and didn't get the location nor the money.

The house was empty and for sale, I lived right across the street and a house or two down from it. I detected the yard quite a bit and had located a huge iron signal in the garden.

As I was mulling this over, knowing the local legend had the cache inside the house, the property was sold and the new owner showed up. I'd mulled a little too long, lol.

He told me I wasn't welcome there anymore, and when I asked if he would be interested in a split if I told him where it was he told me no. Not even 10%.

As far as I know, it's still there, whatever it is, and it's in the corner of the garden nearest the house. Hmmmmm?

Does this guy live in the house, or does he rent it out?

The story was several years old when I first heard it. The house had been sitting empty for a few years, the length of time I lived in the town. I knew the new owner, his Dad ran a tavern in the town, just didn't know he bought the place. He, his wife and a couple of kids moved into the house and he used a back building for storage for his business. He's not related to the original owner. To be honest, he's arrogant and has few redeeming qualities, lol. It's in the midwest.

If the Dad owns the property the son can't keep you off it if you get permission from the owner. Go cut a deal with the Dad and have him with you while your search and dig. problem solved. siegfried schlagrule

Quark

Apr 8, 2009
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Dad owns the property the son can't keep you off it if you get permission from the owner. Go cut a deal with the Dad and have him with you while your search and dig. problem solved. siegfried schlagrule
Exactly! Go to the source and give it a whirl.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
GoodyGuy said:
During a recent visit to my elderly parents, I was letting them know about how I had used my metal detector to recover my cousins high school ring that had been lost since 1964, And to get his address to send it to him in Idaho.

Then my 90 year old Mother told me the story of how when she was a child she had received an inheritance of jewelery from her favorite aunt. She remembered putting it in a can and burying it in the back yard of her childhood home, for safekeeping, some 80 years ago, and had forgotten about it until just now!

She told me the location of her childhood home and what part of the property where its
buried. To the best of her recollection it consisted of: a diamond and a ruby ring, emerald bracelet, pearl necklace, hat pin and a broach.

The hitch is that although she knows the house was on the corner of two streets and the names of the streets, she is not sure which corner. That leaves 4 properties to search.
I think I can do a search at the courthouse to find the exact address.

But my problem is, trying to figure out how to go about getting permission from the present day owners to look for buried treasure on their property.

Any Ideas?
With a treasure that small I would dawn a reflective vest hard hat can of orange paint spray the small targets dig the larger ones only after you insure you have the correct address. If the place is still houses with that much time lapsed anything could be there by now.

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a fellow told me he'd gone hunting with another fellow who was VP of Marketing for Squibb. They were hunting rabbits along a railroad track and the VP picked up a handfull of rocks and threw them into the brush to scare out any game. He realized that his diamond ring had come off and went flying with the rocks and was lost.

I went out there with my metal detector but it was fruitless. Did you ever try to do any detecting along a railroad? The cinders and reactive soil and minerals made the detector go nuts.

Yep... it's still lost. Somewhere out there is a $1600 men's diamond ring. Can you say "Needle in a haystack"?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Johnny Cache said:
Yes, a fellow told me he'd gone hunting with another fellow who was VP of Marketing for Squibb. They were hunting rabbits along a railroad track and the VP picked up a handfull of rocks and threw them into the brush to scare out any game. He realized that his diamond ring had come off and went flying with the rocks and was lost.

I went out there with my metal detector but it was fruitless. Did you ever try to do any detecting along a railroad? The cinders and reactive soil and minerals made the detector go nuts.

Yep... it's still lost. Somewhere out there is a $1600 men's diamond ring. Can you say "Needle in a haystack"?

Latitude and Longitude, please. ;D

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cuzco i was in your neck of the woods back in October (live in Cincinnati) visiting and took my nephew to do some t-hunting. We did find some placer gold and i was surprised at how much there was...probably 1/4 oz in a four pound baggie. Then found a match head sized nugget all with in 10 miles of Redding. Found an old 1800s rocker too. Will be going back this summer and plan to see if there is a claim where we found the placer.

Two things: I can find the ring mentioned above in 5 minutes if its gold or silver. I use a device the uses new technology not a regular metal detector. I found the gold mentioned above with it the placer from 25 feet and the little nugget from 1/8 mile. Located a silver dollar from 1/2 mile. When i get out there it would be cool to find the ring for that guy just for the fun of it. If you still have this avatar when I go I'll contact you.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goodguy,

The thing is you have the treasrue trove law on your side. Th true owner has all rights to the property buried! Take her with you or maybe get a letter from her giving you the items. The original treasure owner has the right to retrieve it over the present owner of the property...at least that's T Trove law. Don't know if that helps or not. Or you could buy some night vision goggles, black clothes, and a plastic shovel....

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always get it in writing, or you may lose everything, and even my have to serve times in jail.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis said:
Hey Goodguy,

The thing is you have the treasrue trove law on your side. Th true owner has all rights to the property buried! Take her with you or maybe get a letter from her giving you the items. The original treasure owner has the right to retrieve it over the present owner of the property...at least that's T Trove law. Don't know if that helps or not. Or you could buy some night vision goggles, black clothes, and a plastic shovel....

.......and get your ass SHOT!!!!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please understand i was joking about the night vision and all! You should always have permission, otherwise you not only can lose the treasure, but it give the rest of us a bad name so to speak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread