First Holed coin, silver and GOLD!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
It was a blustery cold, dreary day. A 15-20 MPH wind was whistling off the Mississippi River, the temperature was a balmy 30 degrees but that couldn't stop a diehard detectorist like me. Earlier in the day I had leaned on a homeowner and had secured permission to hunt a new location near the river. The home was old, not ancient old like colonial times but old like turn of the last century and I could feel it in my bones that this place held hidden treasures.

I called my partner in Detecting Crime, Baldingboy and asked him if he wanted to find some loot. It didn't take much convincing and he was in like Flint. I told him to meet me at 5 and to come packing. It might be cold and it might not be the perfect weather for hunting but I like a challenge. That and I'm a little nuts. My name is Eagle, Mastereagle that is.

BB rolled up to my hideout on time for a change. I was suprised. He said he was ready to go but it was awfully cold. I told him to suck it up. We loaded all the stuff into the car and headed to the locale. As we pulled up BB had a grin on his face like a kid at Christmas mixed with the grin of a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He was pumped.

We began detecting and it was slow going at first. I heard BB saying something as he was holding up a coin he had just recovered and I walked over to see what he had found. I looked down and saw an Indian staring back at me. BB had found the Indian Head I had set my sites on for the night. Not to be discouraged I redoubled my efforts and was quickly paid off with two wheats. I was a little dissapointed and was feeling a little down when I got a signal and out popped the Gold Locket with Jesus on the front. I told BB I had found Jesus and he said something about how good it was cause I really needed to find Jesus. :-\

We hunted for a while longer and I found a hair clip, it looks old. I showed it to BB and I could see by the jealous gleam in his eye that he wanted it for his own personal use. The bar that was attached to the back of it was in the hole, too bad. Just about then Michael Jackson showed up. He asked up what we were doing. We told him to scram. (not really) Seems that Michael is friends with the new owner and he wanted to know what two crazy guys were doing out in the dark digging in the ground. Also turns out that this is the man that owns a piece of property that BB has been trying to get permission to hunt. So by the time he left we had at least one new place and maybe two to hunt. Good job BB!!!

A few minutes later and out pops the pin. The pin is actually missing from the back but it's still a cool find. I remarked to BB how hard it was to believe that no silver had been found when suddenly the Beast started the growling it likes to do when silver is near. Dug down and 7 inches into the ground I came across the 48. Not bad, not bad at all.

Not much more was found. After a few more hours of hunting it was time to go. After all my car turns back into a pumpkin at midnight and it was a quarter til (this is code for the wife was more than a little miffed that I hadn't gone home yet). Just as I was getting ready to turn off the beast I got a good hard quarter signal and popped out the quarter with the hole in it. Not sure what the purpose was but it was still my first holed coin.

So we loaded our stuff up and vowed we would return to find more treasures. Got home just as the car turned back into a pumpkin and BB and I parted ways. Went in and cleaned up the locket and it says 14k GF PPC on it. Gold filled, can't seem to find a solid piece of the good stuff. :-[ Close but no cigar.

Also found two tax tokens and another EP Co lid, like I found a few weeks ago. Lots of trash and lots of signals but as you can see digging it all sometimes pays off. I don't think the Beast likes Indians cause I know I ran over the area that BB found his in... :-\

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• stuff.JPG
    stuff.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,273
  • pin.JPG
    pin.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,246
  • tax.JPG
    tax.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,242
  • wash.JPG
    wash.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,257
  • buck.JPG
    buck.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,266
  • hairback.JPG
    hairback.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • hair.JPG
    hair.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 14k.JPG
    14k.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,259
  • crossin.JPG
    crossin.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,262
  • cross.JPG
    cross.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,258
  • wheats.JPG
    wheats.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,272
  • junk.JPG
    junk.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,268
Upvote 0
...more

Attachments

• tax2.JPG
    tax2.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • ringbroke.JPG
    ringbroke.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 1,243
  • ringside.JPG
    ringside.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • pinback.JPG
    pinback.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • hole.JPG
    hole.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,211
gracious, you are on a roll now! Congrats on a great hunt and a fine story as usual also! :thumbsup: Miss you guys!

Super hunt ME. That locket is a neat find. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

I like it all my friend a good hunt for sure. I am looking into some electric thermal underwear that you just plug into the detector. :tongue3: Keep on diggin!!

Burdie

I guess you know, but halfway down the first picture on the left is the handle to a Victorian toy pistol (gun).

Very nice...I like old costume jewelry. Looking at that holed quarter I can only think of the toys people made out of things like that. Put a string threw it and it works, I remember my grandfather doing it for me.

Love the story as always! Glad to see you got the Beast working overtime-get out there and make hay while the weather lasts. Congrats on the silver-beats the IH but not by much. Jewelry is always good and don't worry, the Beast will find the real stuff soon enough.

TAX TOKENS! And two of 'em! ;D

Dang, ME! Looks like you found a winner of a site to hunt! 8) All those keepers in such a short time! :icon_pirat:

Sounds like you two had a great time! Congrats!!!

Nana :wink:

OH...and good luck on that new site too! :thumbsup:

Nice finds and long post! Good luck at the new site, that is why I take time to talk to people, talking to the people is usually a good thing and I have received permission from several people doing so. Too bad there was nothing inside the locket. HH, Mike

CRUSADER said:
I guess you know, but halfway down the first picture on the left is the handle to a Victorian toy pistol (gun).
Do you really think so? I wasn't sure what it was it does remind me of a gun handle but I just wasn't sure.

Larry. Bravo to you and BB for sticking it out in the cold conditions to do some dirt digging!

Looks like you've got a few keepers. When you can't remove your hand from your machine because of the frost, that's the sign to stop. ;D

Congrats!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back