First Horeshoe

Jack Wilde

Mar 5, 2016
Duluth,MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, GP Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up my first Horseshoe the other day. I was pretty excited about it. For those of you who have been doing this longer than me, do you clean something like this up, or just let it be. Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596562098.277196.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1596562115.425250.jpg friends!!

Upvote 4

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Judgement call. If I had the time I'd clean it, but not that hinge. You can drop it in some apple cider vinegar for a few days...ACV is great for getting the rust off old iron. If you're more adventurous you can try electrolysis which will work faster.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You can clean it if you like, just use some dishwasher soap or maybe a dash of apple cider vinegar. You may want to hang that somewhere for good luck, if you do, open side down to keep the luck from runnig out....:thumbsup:

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice horseshoe. I have found a few, but I have not cleaned them at all. I just hang them in my shed, with the open end facing up if I can, as I thought that is how the old good luck suspicion went.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug up my first Horseshoe the other day...
teacher.gif
Thought you might enjoy this - I pulled this from another TN thread - this is just one of the replies in the thread...

The information that was provided was found in the book: Artifacts of Colonial America by Ivor Noel Hume. (Don't shoot the messenger-call the author!) As noted, dating horseshoes is difficult at best. As with any hand-made item, the maker has the liberty to make it as he/she wishes. A current gunmaker could easily produce a flintlock rifle with all the early fixtures, but it obviously would not be old. Same thing with an ancient spear/arrow point. All one can do is go with the professional studies that have been documented and make your best guess.
tn_horse_shoes.jpg

I've seen many people asking about how to date horseshoes. Many say it is nearly impossible, but I say it's not. So I thought about sharing a little "guide" on how to date horseshoes.

tn_horseshoes_01.jpg
tn_horseshoes_02.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jack Wilde

Mar 5, 2016
Duluth,MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, GP Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking horse shoe, should clean up nice for display. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread