Silver Searcher
Gold Member
Today was the first time in very nearly a year I took out the detector for a swing
and i'm glad I did because it turned out not to bad even though there was a biting wind and snow showers. luckily the very wet winter has delayed the farmers from ploughing the winter weat and there was three stubble fields to go at (only did two).
First field was tough going and only managed 3 Roman grots (blank or nearly) but did manage the making pin from a Roman steelyard weighing set, that's a first for me. The second field after lunch was the best, my first Silver of the year Roman Denarius (caught be the plough) Think it's Vespasian, and two very small Hammered, one 10mm the other 13mm think they are a farthing and half penny of?? will have to update later although one I don't think I will be able to ID. a few other bits i won't ramble on...Have a look.
The piece of red pottery shard was found on a Roman bath house site, it is stamped with two letters, I'm out on a limb to wether this is Roman or not, the lettering to me looks modern, but my detecting partner though it to be Roman, it does look like samian ware.
SS
and i'm glad I did because it turned out not to bad even though there was a biting wind and snow showers. luckily the very wet winter has delayed the farmers from ploughing the winter weat and there was three stubble fields to go at (only did two).First field was tough going and only managed 3 Roman grots (blank or nearly) but did manage the making pin from a Roman steelyard weighing set, that's a first for me. The second field after lunch was the best, my first Silver of the year Roman Denarius (caught be the plough) Think it's Vespasian, and two very small Hammered, one 10mm the other 13mm think they are a farthing and half penny of?? will have to update later although one I don't think I will be able to ID. a few other bits i won't ramble on...Have a look.
The piece of red pottery shard was found on a Roman bath house site, it is stamped with two letters, I'm out on a limb to wether this is Roman or not, the lettering to me looks modern, but my detecting partner though it to be Roman, it does look like samian ware.
SS
Attachments
-
IMG_2430.webp249 KB · Views: 190 -
IMG_2431.webp182.7 KB · Views: 169 -
IMG_2432.webp232.1 KB · Views: 175 -
IMG_2433.webp321.5 KB · Views: 166 -
IMG_2434.webp265.5 KB · Views: 153 -
IMG_2442.webp100.8 KB · Views: 147 -
IMG_2441.webp186 KB · Views: 157 -
IMG_2439.webp158.4 KB · Views: 153 -
IMG_2438.webp642.6 KB · Views: 169 -
IMG_2437.webp366 KB · Views: 167 -
IMG_2435.webp598.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote
34
perhaps the villa field spoilt me, it's hard to find a site like that again.








