What's new

First Hunt For A year..

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
10,425
Reaction score
2,724
Golden Thread
1
Location
UK
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the first time in very nearly a year I took out the detector for a swing :laughing7: and i'm glad I did because it turned out not to bad even though there was a biting wind and snow showers. luckily the very wet winter has delayed the farmers from ploughing the winter weat and there was three stubble fields to go at (only did two).

First field was tough going and only managed 3 Roman grots (blank or nearly) but did manage the making pin from a Roman steelyard weighing set, that's a first for me. The second field after lunch was the best, my first Silver of the year Roman Denarius (caught be the plough) Think it's Vespasian, and two very small Hammered, one 10mm the other 13mm think they are a farthing and half penny of?? will have to update later although one I don't think I will be able to ID. a few other bits i won't ramble on...Have a look.

The piece of red pottery shard was found on a Roman bath house site, it is stamped with two letters, I'm out on a limb to wether this is Roman or not, the lettering to me looks modern, but my detecting partner though it to be Roman, it does look like samian ware.:icon_scratch:


SS
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2430.webp
    IMG_2430.webp
    249 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2431.webp
    IMG_2431.webp
    182.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2432.webp
    IMG_2432.webp
    232.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2433.webp
    IMG_2433.webp
    321.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2434.webp
    IMG_2434.webp
    265.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2442.webp
    IMG_2442.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2441.webp
    IMG_2441.webp
    186 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2439.webp
    IMG_2439.webp
    158.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2438.webp
    IMG_2438.webp
    642.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2437.webp
    IMG_2437.webp
    366 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2435.webp
    IMG_2435.webp
    598.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Upvote 34
When we, or at least when I say 'plough damage' its a generic term for any of the farm equipment the tractor pulls. (Not just the normal plough) I'm no good with the proper terms but its the power tillers that break up the soil into fluff, that does the most damage. Depending on soil, its very easy in our area for the hard lumps of clay to act as a clamp & it hits the coin on the edge that sticks out.

OK I hear you on the generic term, and I was just babbling, but certainly (I agree) that the roto tillers would have the speed to maybe chop a coin in half.
 
Very nice outing. Nice to see you post
 
OK I hear you on the generic term, and I was just babbling, but certainly (I agree) that the roto tillers would have the speed to maybe chop a coin in half.
Probably done by a power harrow, it's just a term we use when I say plough damage like Cru says, coupled with the fact the field is a very stoney one, so a mixture of both going through the harrow is what most likely caused the damage Rick.:thumbsup:

SS
 

Attachments

  • RoterraPowerHarrow.webp
    RoterraPowerHarrow.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I could've used that to clear the ice out if the driveway last week!
 
Nice one Colin. A year that's a long break. Hope you make up for lost time quickly. :thumbsup:
 
Nice one Colin. A year that's a long break. Hope you make up for lost time quickly. :thumbsup:
Doubt it, when the weather picks up...I'm off fishing.:laughing7:

SS
 
Nice work! Your old puts our old to shame....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom