ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the itch to go detecting for months. I recently found out that certain state parks allow metal detecting (ONLY in the swimming area) from the day after Labor Day until Memorial Day weekend 8:00am - 5:00pm. Sounds great, but anything of value (except for modern clad coins) must be turned in to the park. If no one claims it after 30 days, its yours. Luckily (or unluckily - however you want to look at it) I did not have to find out just how honest I am. ;D

My detecting "season" usually runs from after the farmers have completed their harvest (and the weather cools) until they plant in the Spring. I decided to start early this year and I learned some things. I did accomplish my goal of being the first to detect the park. I have never "beach" hunted before. I am primarily a coinshooter and I like the old stuff. Detecting a site that can only yield clad typically does not interest me. Today I hit the swimming area with visions of gold, platinum, and diamond rings in my head.

LESSON #1: A heat index over 100 is way too hot for a slightly overweight out of shape 40 year old to metal detect. I lasted about an hour and a half. I pretty much had all I wanted after about 30 minutes, but I'm stubborn. ::)

LESSON #2: If detecting a beach/swimming area in excessive heat, wear your damn bathing suit. Its perfectly ok - a great idea even - to detect until you begin to overheat, take a dip in the lake to cool off, then detect some more. Of course, I think of that one after I get home. :D

Towards the end, I was skipping any signal that couldn't possibly be a ring. Digging Zincolns in the heat just wasn't that appealing for some reason. I did get out of there with $2.27 in clad and a shiny gold colored button. I left a lot more than that I'm sure. I'll hit it again when the weather cools.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread