First hunt with etrac

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, whites xlt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys. Received my etrac Friday and went out Sunday to my local park that's been hit pretty hard. Didn't find too much because I was doing what y'all suggested which was to dig every repeatable signals. Did find two pennies(clad) one was over 6 inches. Also found two ww1 strap buckles at 8 inches! Not bad for a first time etracer! So I went to the same park yesterday to try ttf. Man was that diffrent! Think I could get used to it though. One question, I got a higher signal bouncing around amongst the iron. Not a real good one but repeatable enough to dig. Ended up being a nail at 8 inches. Can this happen in ttf? I read that if I blocked 1-01 to 1-31 this will eliminate the falsing. I was running in relic mode with ttf settings. Any experiences with this? Or suggestions? Thanks!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was your sensitivity set on? If your running to hot and swinging to fast you will have this problem.

OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Auto +2. Swinging slow. Drop sensitivity a bit?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The trashier the area the lower the sens. I would go straight Auto and only if its smooth bump to +1. You really dont get that much advantage at all on depth by running to hot. A stable machine is a much easier machine to learn!

OP
OP
Bryanhashemi

Bryanhashemi

Mar 15, 2012
Savannah, Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bart. All your help is greatly appreciated. I know I'm doing something right because I found a ww1 small buckle at 10 inches today. The depth is really amazing! Thanks again for being around to help.

--Bryan

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
long iron objects like nail and bolts are the worst at falsing and YES you will still dig some.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens with those long objects (of any metal type) is that the energy of the detector builds in the buried object. With flat objects, that energy is re-radiated back up and detected. With nails and other long objects, that energy is strongest at the tips. If it is angled AT ALL, you get all that energy right back up at you and the result is a great sounding target.

With some iron falsing, you can tell because either it won't pinpoint where you get the good signal, or the spot where you get the "good" hit seems to bounce around. This is because you are picking up the edge of the iron.

Any time you decide to not dig one of these, you could be walking away from a coin, but with time and experience you will learn to tell those iron objects 90% of the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread