First Indian Cent!

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
I found my first Indian cent today and I'm extremely pumped. I need your help on this though. As with my barber quarter there is "crust" not dirt all over it. I REALLY want to see a date! What's my best chance as far as a cleaning method goes? I know I know, you aren't suppose to clean coins but its my only one so I have to see what's under the crud. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Found a smashed thimble and goldish looking cufflink as well.

Attachments

• image-912847940.jpg
    image-912847940.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2063068257.jpg
    image-2063068257.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 123
  • image-3449249042.jpg
    image-3449249042.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 125
Upvote 3
you might be able to take the oils from the side of your nose on your finger and lightly rub your finger over the date

nice finds congrats HH

Congrats in you're first IH penny,boy it sure does got thick patania on it.that thimble and cuff link is a cool find to.

Do you think the boiling hydrogen peroxide method would wreck this coin?

DISCLAIMER: lol this is what worked for me, please dont do it unless you are sure! I used hot peroxide and qtips and a massive amount of elbow grease to get my crusted 1870 IH cleaned up, i was told that it kills the value but I didnt care cause i never plan on getting rid of it, so with that said, give it a shot if your comfortable with it

I found my first Indian cent today and I'm extremely pumped. I need your help on this though. As with my barber quarter there is "crust" not dirt all over it. I REALLY want to see a date! What's my best chance as far as a cleaning method goes? I know I know, you aren't suppose to clean coins but its my only one so I have to see what's under the crud. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Found a smashed thimble and goldish looking cufflink as well.

My oh my, that's a really tough decision. Especially because it's your first and ONLY one. Even though you'll probably find lots more in time. This one is truly special. Anything you do to clean it up could make it unreadable.

From my experience with these, it's hit and miss at best. Your pictures tell me this isn't the best candidate either. Still, maybe, start out with something simple. Hot peroxide can clean but it is pretty harsh. Maybe it would be ok if you checked it every 30 seconds or so, drying it off in between. But, another method that has worked for me is to soak it in olive oil for a while and then try using a wooden toothpick to remove whatever is easy.

In any case, congrats!

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back