What's new

First Merc of the year is a 1916, and a mystery coin

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
6,035
Reaction score
7,428
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to a spot I punched hard with the ATPro a few years ago. Got out of the truck and seriously the third swing gave a sweet signal mixed with iron. I couldn't believe it, a Merc! Unfortunately there is no D.

The other coin is odd. It is really thick, almost as thick as a nickel. It rang up slightly lower than an IH cent. My first thought was that maybe it's a fatty IH cent. Could it be? A fatty IH on the Canadian prairie? That would be quite something.

It's really caked, and I don't usually clean my copper coins. How would you experts clean it up? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468296912.659914.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468296941.659219.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468296961.494426.webp
 
Upvote 14
Congrats on the silver. No idea what the other coin could be. I can't see any detail
 
Almost looks like tar on there brother. Once I had a war nickel look that bad, and I cleaned it up with a soak in lemon juice. But, if that's copper that wouldn't be good. Any idea of the composition?

And great '16 man. Maybe the next one will be a Denver mint;)
 
Almost looks like tar on there brother. Once I had a war nickel look that bad, and I cleaned it up with a soak in lemon juice. But, if that's copper that wouldn't be good. Any idea of the composition?

And great '16 man. Maybe the next one will be a Denver mint;)

The diameter is the same as a penny, but it rang up low. I think it's copper, how do you clean your coppers? Most of my coppers come up fairly clean so I don't know the right method. Peroxide?
 
Here it is beside a regular IH cent...ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468298861.356150.webp
 
The diameter is the same as a penny, but it rang up low. I think it's copper, how do you clean your coppers? Most of my coppers come up fairly clean so I don't know the right method. Peroxide?

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's on the coin. Personally what I would do is rub a little "Goo-be-gone" to make sure the buildup isn't petroleum based (asphalt). If it wasn't I would try my damndest to figure out the material. If it's silver I would use citric acid to start. Copper I would try hot peroxide to start, then note the results of both to see if it's doing anything. I'm by no means any sort of expert coin cleaner, I just find a lot of f'd up coins.
 
Congratulations on the mercury. Don't rush to clean the mystery coin. I do not use peroxide on my copper coins, it tends to turn them black and in many cases brings out blemishes that were not visible before. Take your time, it is not going anywhere now.
 
Those '16 Mercs will take your breath away until you see or dont see a D on it.
 
Congrats JC! My first war nickel looked like it had asphalt on it... took a long time to clean it. I swear that looks like a war nickel... electrolysis would prove it, or ruin it.. depend on how you look at the world.

Best of luck to you sir!
 
Congratz on a nice Merc!
 
Cool save, I bet its a Flying Eagle (just a gut feeling) light oil might not hurt anything. Olive oil might make it dark, but light oil might loosen things up.
I usually start out with soaking copper in distilled water (it draws minerals away from coin) then maybe oil
 
Sweet merc and ???

Trebs idea sounds good.
 
Awesome merc. Congrats
 
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's on the coin. Personally what I would do is rub a little "Goo-be-gone" to make sure the buildup isn't petroleum based (asphalt). If it wasn't I would try my damndest to figure out the material. If it's silver I would use citric acid to start. Copper I would try hot peroxide to start, then note the results of both to see if it's doing anything. I'm by no means any sort of expert coin cleaner, I just find a lot of f'd up coins.

I have some "goo gone", I will give it a shot. I don't think it's asphalt, the roads in this town aren't even paved, Canadian hillbillies here hehe.
 
Congratulations on the mercury. Don't rush to clean the mystery coin. I do not use peroxide on my copper coins, it tends to turn them black and in many cases brings out blemishes that were not visible before. Take your time, it is not going anywhere now.

I'll try not to rush, but I admit it's killing me not knowing what it is.
 
Those '16 Mercs will take your breath away until you see or dont see a D on it.

No kidding, I really expected to see the D on this one. It was really exciting for about three seconds. Oh well, I'm just happy to have a new addition to the silver pile.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom