What's new

First Merc & other finds

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
First Merc & other finds

Got my first Merc last week in a box of dimes I picked up. It's nothing special, a 1944 and dirty and fairly unattractive. Nonetheless it's a milestone, right!?

Also checked one local bank in a small town in Vermont I visited last week while visiting family, and got 4 1964s out of $22.50 in halves.

Got my first silver Washington from roll hunting last week also, a 1964. (the other one I have this year came from 'real' circulation)

The rest of the pics are a few nice proof nickels I got in the last few weeks and an African coin that was in a roll of nickels. Anybody recognize it?

Picture212.jpg

Picture211.jpg

Picture207.jpg

Picture210.jpg

Picture209.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: First Merc & other finds

Nice finds. I've never seen a proof nickel before but I never search them. I have enough trouble with halves. :D
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

DrDetector said:
Got my first Merc last week in a box of dimes I picked up. It's nothing special, a 1944 and dirty and fairly unattractive. Nonetheless it's a milestone, right!?

Also checked one local bank in a small town in Vermont I visited last week while visiting family, and got 4 1964s out of $22.50 in halves.

Got my first silver Washington from roll hunting last week also, a 1964. (the other one I have this year came from 'real' circulation)

The rest of the pics are a few nice proof nickels I got in the last few weeks and an African coin that was in a roll of nickels. Anybody recognize it?
Picture210.jpg

Picture209.jpg


/quote]

Nice finds. And the coin in question is a South African five cent piece; however, based on 100 cents to a South African Rand and one Rand equals 0.13 US.........well, you get the picture. :(

One Rand equals X currency One currency equals X Rand
0.13641 US Dollar (USD) United States 7.33 ZA Rands
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

Good ID work, Thurm and nice find Doc! I have yet to find a coin from any African nation.
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

What are the dates on those proof nickels? I can't quite make them out.
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

Congrats on the two firsts last week DD. Now it's all downhill for ya....ha! Hope there are many more to come for you soon.

Cool looking African coin too.....I like it.
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

GMan00001 said:
What are the dates on those proof nickels? I can't quite make them out.

Yeah, one looks like a 1975-D, which weren't made in proof, and the other seems to be a 1969-S.
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

they are 1975S and 1989S

I already posted them on the tracking list thread :)
 
Re: First Merc & other finds

Congratulations on your finds. That is a rather rough looking Merc, but still a Merc. Great designed coin. Merc was the first silver coin I ever found out of the ground. I finally got a Merc month's later for the first time CRH. Great to see the Merc from the box or the ground.

Postalrevnant
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom