What's new

FIRST MERC

Mercury63

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
286
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
With my bank now charging for halves, the quest for a new half bank has begun. In the interim, I am back to dimes. Picked up two boxes from two different Chase branches and got to work this morning. First box is a skunk. Second box, first 44 rolls and I am still getting skunked. I am resigned to getting shut out and then I pluck a 1938 Merc from the next roll. Whippee, my first Merc from CRH. It took me seven boxes.

What is the average rate of pulling a Merc out of the wild ?

Merc 63
 
Upvote 0
Very cool, congrats!!! I just started doing dimes again and I can't wait to pull my first Merc. Hopefully somebody answers your question on the amount of Mercs found.
 
Congrats those mercs are cool looking coins ...sorry I dont do dimes so no idea on keeper rate ..Gman and some others would know .. Ed
 
For some idea of their rarity:

Since I started keeping detailed records of my CRHing exploits:

From 11/18/2006 until 12/21/2008 I have found in 3,530 almost exclusively machine-rolled dime rolls:

7 Mercury dimes
153 silver Roosevelt dimes
1 80% silver Canadian dime

161 total silver coins

Average is 1 silver coin out of 1,096 coins.
 
From 11/18/2006 until 12/21/2008 I have found in 3,530 almost exclusively machine-rolled dime rolls:

7 Mercury dimes
153 silver Roosevelt dimes
1 80% silver Canadian dime

161 total silver coins

Average is 1 silver coin out of 1,096 coins.
WOW.......i would love to see that pile of dimes :thumbsup:
 
Scalper said:
Congrats those mercs are cool looking coins ...sorry I dont do dimes so no idea on keeper rate ..Gman and some others would know .. Ed

Right you are....

Although I search bags not rolls, the keeper rate should be about the same with the exception that mine will be specific to the few banks I buy bags from instead of spread out across all banks that supply bags to be rolled...

In 2008, I have searched through 407,652 dimes and have 15 mercury dimes, 214 silver Roosevelt dimes, and 24 silver Canadian dimes.

From a per box (2500 dimes) perspective, that works out to
0.09199 Mercury dimes per box (or 1 in about 10.87 boxes)
1.3124 silver Roosevelt dimes per box (or 1 in about 38 rolls)
0.147184 silver Canadian dimes per box (or 1 in about 6.8 boxes)

My 2007 numbers were lower mainly because I had a number of boxes from a source which had a considerably lower find rate...my find rate on bags in 2007 was similar.


Hope that helps.
 
i really admire you guys that keep such detailed statistics.....i know if i tried i'd make a mistake somewhere and screw it all up.....i hate math
 
Thanks for the stats GMAN. It is hard to think I will have to go 10-11 boxes on average for my beloved Mercury Dimes, but so be it.

Merc 63
 
LOL - Well if thats the case, I should be getting a Merc soon... I did 7 boxes last week. ;D
 
Congrats on your first Merc! :thumbsup:

-Codes
 
I just started dimes a couple weeks ago. My first box had a Merc and a Rosie.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom