What's new

First Military button

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,445
Reaction score
4,909
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Deeptech Gold gain, Vista X, and Warrior, also Tesoro Outlaw, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chris and I got out for a couple of hours the other day. Searching along an old two-track in the sagebrush. Got a decent target, and out popped this button. I'm not a button guy, but it was in such great condition I was pretty happy with it.
Jim
 

Attachments

  • Military button in Birch Ck 1.webp
    Military button in Birch Ck 1.webp
    152.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Military button in Birch Ck 2.webp
    Military button in Birch Ck 2.webp
    118.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 13
Chris and I got out for a couple of hours the other day. Searching along an old two-track in the sagebrush. Got a decent target, and out popped this button. I'm not a button guy, but it was in such great condition I was pretty happy with it.
Jim
Nice find...I wonder what period your button is from...Civil War? Revolutionary? Very cool!....just did a quick Google search...maybe 1930's, 40's...just a guess
 
Nice button, I'm pretty sure it's from WWI, N.S. Meyers made U.S. Army Great Seal buttons starting in 1906 and throughout WWII and into the Korean War, that style eagle is an early one as well as that back mark.
 
Ya know guys, Idaho was never a wealthy state. I can easily see an Idaho kid, coming home from war1, and wearing his overcoat as an everyday coat, and eventually losing a button from it. I found it in the Birch Ck valley, which today has virtually no towns. We find a lot of old cartridges, and relics from the late 1800's on. Rarely, we find a coin, or something kinda special. I appreciate being the one to find this, especially in this condition. Thanks for all the "likes", and replies with info.
Jim
 
That is a 1902 Great Seal button that is still in use today. Most of them that we dig are from WW1 or WW11 and there are ways you can tell by looking at the reverse. Those are always a nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom