First Old Lead Toy, More Skull Bling and FINALLY, a Wheatie.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't gonna' hunt today because of the cold and excessive wind but finally decided late in the day to do a short hunt.
I bundled up and went to a park but stayed away from the fields for a change and focused on an area with some very large old trees in the hopes of something OLD.
There are about 1000 nails in this area but I started digging anyway. Got a hit in the mid 50's and dug up this guy:

1st. Lead Toy More Skullduggery & Wheatie 001.JPG

I believe he's made out of lead 'cause he's really heavy. If anyone has any clue how old he may be or what he is exactly I would love to know. He looks like he's holding a tray. Maybe he's a waiter or something. Too bad he's in such bad shape and his feet are gone but I thought it was pretty cool anyway. Maybe some kid left him under that tree long ago. It was pretty deep.

I got another hit that rang up like a dime and dug up this most hideous thing:

1st. Lead Toy More Skullduggery & Wheatie 002.JPG

Not sure if someone lost it or threw it away. I believe that's what I'll do now that I have a record of it. I believe it's THE ugliest thing I've dug thus far. People actually BUY this stuff.

Then after digging more nails, pull tabs and a little clad I managed to FINALLY dig up this 1945 wheatie:

1st. Lead Toy More Skullduggery & Wheatie 004.JPG 1st. Lead Toy More Skullduggery & Wheatie 003.JPG

I haven't dug a wheatie since late August and of course, it's also the first coin I've scratched while digging it since before then.
Oh well. The soil in my area is really hard on copper and it's a bit toasty anyway.

Then it got windier, colder and darker so I called it a day. It wasn't a bad little hunt in the short time I spent. I want to hit this area harder because I believe it may have some potential for some more old stuff.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that IS ugly. PM Cjon and ask him where he buried that big ugly ring he dug back in the summer, lol. I'd hate to see 2 spots wasted with ugly bling, lol. Hope you find out what the figure is.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that IS ugly. PM Cjon and ask him where he buried that big ugly ring he dug back in the summer, lol. I'd hate to see 2 spots wasted with ugly bling, lol. Hope you find out what the figure is.

Those funky eyes are actually some kinda' glass stones. I thought it was just corrosion before I rinsed the dirt off. Rather than make it look better it looks even worse.
It actually LOOKS like it's been rotting in the ground. Pretty dang creepy.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like this was the weekend to find pirate bling!...yours is more of a badass

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a fitting Halloween find!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like this was the weekend to find pirate bling!...yours is more of a badass

Yeah, I saw your post earlier.
Must be something in the air eh?? Oh, and I was definitely shivering out there tonight too.

Mine may be bad ass but it looks like a decomposing corpse to me. I truly find it to be creepy.
Who buys this crap anyway?? I wouldn't give a nickel for it. The again, I hunted it, dug it up and brought it home so who am I kiddin'??

Come to think of it, I actually dug this guy a while back not 20 feet from where I dug the latest creepy skull bling:

SkullDuggery Sept. 29 2014 001.JPG

I actually like that one though. He's part of a ring.

Maybe some strange goth folks frequent this area or something.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha that is some find buddy lol. I've been running my Tek in all metal the last couple hunts on sites that have been hammered by myself and many others. Pulling some very deep stuff. Merc dime and ih way down there. Not sure if you've used it much but try it once in awhile to get used to it. It's also nice to clean up an iffy signal in disc mode. Mine goes at least 2-3" deeper in all metal. I set up a test garden and was floored by the difference. Good luck out there bud

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you were able to brave the weather and get out a bit. GL&HH.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Will be interesting to see if you get an i.d. on the lead toy. Since you dug El Creepo Skull & Crossbones on Halloween weekend, I guess you'll dig Santa Claus or Rudolph at Christmas, lol. :laughing7: Have Fun! Andi

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha that is some find buddy lol. I've been running my Tek in all metal the last couple hunts on sites that have been hammered by myself and many others. Pulling some very deep stuff. Merc dime and ih way down there. Not sure if you've used it much but try it once in awhile to get used to it. It's also nice to clean up an iffy signal in disc mode. Mine goes at least 2-3" deeper in all metal. I set up a test garden and was floored by the difference. Good luck out there bud

I really haven't messed with all metal much but ironically, I played with it yesterday for a bit to double check some deep targets which turned out to be trash. Like I said above, there are about 1000 nails alone. I want to find out what used to be there before it was a park to narrow down the older areas. Where there are wheaties and old toys there could be better old coins as well.

Yesterday just as I was getting in the groove I had to leave. It was getting dark anyway but one of the groundskeepers rode up on a 4 wheeler and told me they were closing the gate soon. He watched me replace a plug and commented how he couldn't even tell there had been a hole. That was a relief. I was waiting for him to say I couldn't hunt there but thankfully, he didn't. He was totally cool.

But yeah, I'll play around with the all metal modes some more and see what I can dig up. It's definitely the deepest hitting mode.

Last edited:

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice digs!,i can deal with the cold but that breeze was nasty sat&sun..

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice digs!,i can deal with the cold but that breeze was nasty sat&sun..

Yes it was.
There's just no escape from those high, cold winds. It's gonna' get worse pretty soon too.
I can't wait.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread