What's new

First one after 6 years of detecting

40 Rounds

Full Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2016
Messages
123
Reaction score
1,303
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know crotal bells are fairly common back east and into parts of the Midwest but this is a first for me. I was not expecting to find this based on where I was digging. A new park that used to have an elementary school there. The school was built in the early 50s so must have been something there before that. Anyway glad to finally get one and it still rings!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3219.webp
    IMG_3219.webp
    838.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3223.webp
    IMG_3223.webp
    767.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3224.webp
    IMG_3224.webp
    868.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3226.webp
    IMG_3226.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3227.mov
    8.4 MB
Upvote 26
Nice rivet bell. They were introduced in the early 1860's.
 
I know crotal bells are fairly common back east and into parts of the Midwest but this is a first for me. I was not expecting to find this based on where I was digging. A new park that used to have an elementary school there. The school was built in the early 50s so must have been something there before that. Anyway glad to finally get one and it still rings!
That's a great looking Crotal bell. They may be more common back East, but still a rare find in my book. I've been detecting seriously for the past 10 + years here in Massachusetts, and have only found two. Congratulations on finding your first.
 
Thank you everyone! I found an old map of the area and sure enough it looks like there was an old farm or residence right there!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3235.webp
    IMG_3235.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 36
That's a great looking Crotal bell. They may be more common back East, but still a rare find in my book. I've been detecting seriously for the past 10 + years here in Massachusetts, and have only found two. Congratulations on finding your first.
In the last 20 yrs I've gotten 100+ Crotal bells. Some places zero bells and other sites I get a half dozen.
 
I know crotal bells are fairly common back east and into parts of the Midwest but this is a first for me. I was not expecting to find this based on where I was digging. A new park that used to have an elementary school there. The school was built in the early 50s so must have been something there before that. Anyway glad to finally get one and it still rings!
Congratulations on your first bell. Digging something that's over a 100+yrs old, cleaning the dirt out, and it jingles when you shake it, never gets old.
It brings it back to life.
It's actually a sleigh bell and not a Crotal bell.
This old forum discussion has some good information on the different types.

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED - What is the difference between a crotal bell and a sleigh bell?? | TreasureNet.com https://share.google/xZPkTMbRMe2jKbPvA
 
Congratulations on your first bell. Digging something that's over a 100+yrs old, cleaning the dirt out, and it jingles when you shake it, never gets old.
It brings it back to life.
It's actually a sleigh bell and not a Crotal bell.
This old forum discussion has some good information on the different types.

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED - What is the difference between a crotal bell and a sleigh bell?? | TreasureNet.com https://share.google/xZPkTMbRMe2jKbPvA
Wow…a lot of information in that thread. Still looking it over. Thank you!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom