First one of 2010

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got a chance to hunt yesterday. The snow is 99% gone and the cricks (that's what we call em round here) are flowing rapidly.
Found this Cobbs the first 2 minutes I stepped into the crick.
I hunted for 6 hours. I got 2 madisons, a scraper, and a piece of pottery to go along with the Cobbs.
I like the idea of leaving something behind to trade the spirits when I find a piece.
I left some stuff behind this time.

I wonder if this tool was unfinished since there is a lobe on one side that looks like it needs to be removed. -Darrin

Attachments

• a2 007.jpg
    a2 007.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 289
  • a2 008.jpg
    a2 008.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 284
  • a2 009.jpg
    a2 009.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
Forgot to mention:
We had a mountain lion sighting just 1 mile from our farm about 2 weeks ago.
Mountain lions are very rare around here.
I was looking over my shoulder and paying attention to every sound in the woods all afternoon.
It was creepy.

Darrin , Nice Cobbs! :icon_thumleft:
I'm still waiting to find a really nice one to post ( not to mention a 1st point of '10! :( )

You never hear of mountain lion sightings where I hunt around here but just north at a place I go to @ my sister n law's brothers place ( :icon_scratch: ) they have a picture of something with a tail standing ON TOP of a hay bale that looks very big & a lot like a mountain lion. They say there is what they think is a den right near the creek on the land they let me hunt. ???
When I go out I've started carrying protection just in case! :thumbsup:

8)
Phil

It looks like they saw something in that step thay they were afraid to drive off. I find pieces like that ,that were just discarded. Very nice finds. Keep an eye out for tracks. Those panthers lay down a nice track. Nice hunt and thanks for sharing. Cobbs is pretty old stuff.
TnMtns

Nice find, that's a cool piece. I'd say it's a humpback knife or tool and not a Cobbs, jmho. I've found several like it, imo they were made thick and stacky for handheld use. Heavy duty tools.

Thanks for the info. I'm no expert and I wasn't sure what kind it was. I use an old Overstreet ID guide most of the time. It really doesn't look old enough to be Cobbs.
I didn't see any tracks but I did find a chewed up turkey. Coulda been Coyotes.-Darrin

NP, wish I could find more info on them like culture associated, time period, etc. I really haven't been able to find much at all. Here's a couple illustrated examples and a smaller example I found in WV.

Attachments

• phphBFFexPM.jpg
    phphBFFexPM.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 205
  • phpAwaO2JPM.jpg
    phpAwaO2JPM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 185
  • phpkfVMvxPM.jpg
    phpkfVMvxPM.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 190

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread