What's new

First piece of gold from the water

jeffrey.bean

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Been water hunting for a few months now, in the Chesapeake Bay, can’t tell you how many pieces of shotgun brass I have dug up.
Finally got lucky after work today.
Hit what had been a community beach from the 50’s to early 70’s, now it’s nice shore homes.
Rang up a 32 on the Manticore.

Full pirate status, achieved🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0564.webp
    IMG_0564.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0565.webp
    IMG_0565.webp
    423.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0569.webp
    IMG_0569.webp
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0568.webp
    IMG_0568.webp
    1 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
Very nice 🏴‍☠️ Your pirates ship is beautiful 🏝️🏖️All the best next sails⛵️
 
Nice chunk of butter, congrats!
It took me a while to find my first, then they started popping up regularly :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks,
That’s what I’m hoping for!
It's similar to the 4-minute mile. For eons, scientists and athletes believed that running a 4-minute mile was physically impossible for the human body. But then, on May 6, 1954, Sir Roger Bannister broke it finishing the mile run in 59.4 seconds. After he broke that barrier and proved it was possible, 46 days later, an Australian runner named John Landy broke it as well. Since then, it's estimated that about 2,000 runners have broken the 4-minute mile, were for hundreds of years prior, seemed nobody could do it.

It just took the first guy to open the floodgates, just like it takes the first piece of cheddar to break the barrier, open the floodgates, and now many more finds will follow.
 
Congratulations on the yellow.
What Kt is it?
 
Congrats, good score ..
 
Solid find. At 32 on Manti I think a lot of hunters would have passed thinking "just another pull tab".
 
I found my very first gold jewelry after 14 months of searching. I go out 4x/wk. Unfortunately, they're not popping up for me.
I just started hunting old swim holes this year, got lucky early on, now it’s going to be shotgun head stamps and fishing weights🤣
Solid find. At 32 on Manti I think a lot of hunters would have passed thinking "just another pull tab".

Solid find. At 32 on Manti I think a lot of hunters would have passed thinking "just another pull tab".

Solid find. At 32 on Manti I think a lot of hunters would have passed thinking "just another pull tab".
When at the old swim holes, if it sounds good I dig it!
 
Solid find. At 32 on Manti I think a lot of hunters would have passed thinking "just another pull tab".
Spot on Lawrence. I love those target ID # only types of hunters, along with the "cherry-pickers" because they leave some great targets for us beep & dig, dig-it-all hunters. IMHO, that's one of the downsides of relying strictly on target ID #'s. I've been an audio only guy since 69', so I used tones & size of target, as my "target ID". Of course, nothings foolproof, not even target ID #'s, so many variables like mineralization that can fool us. But after many years learning the detector, listening to tones and size of targets, one can get pretty proficient at guessing the probability of what a target might be. It's really gratifying to get a signal, then think "sounds like a quarter", then dig up a quarter. same with a nickel or zincoln. But unless a signal is "trashy", i.e., very broken/scratchy or breaks up when scanning at various angles, it gets dug.

I know lots of beach hunters also like to "cherry pick", only targeting gold or silver signals/numbers. And some of them may not want to be bothered by finding coins. But in my case, I started out in this crazy hobby as a coinshooter/land hunter, so I love finding coins. And for us audio-only guys, I learned a long time ago that pull tabs & some bottle caps can sound the same as nickels and/or some small gold rings/bling. But if we set discrimination or notch to block out pull-tabs, good chance we're also going to discrim out nickels & gold. That's why I keep my discrim & notch knobs on my Sov set at 0. I only use the discrim mode on my Sov to get variable pitch tones and auto iron rejection. With my Sov's variable pitch tones, some tabs would give me mid-level tones, similar to nickels & some gold, but some pull-tabs, especially if they had a beaver tail attached, also gave me higher pitched tones that sounded like higher conductivity coins/clad/silver, so only way to know for sure is to dig it all.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom