Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At the end of the first week metal detecting the beaches of western Florida, discovered my first silver piece for 2017. Been out 4 previous times and found about 125 coins and a Thomas Sabo watch of note, but no precious metals. The funny thing was when I retrieved the silver earring (S925, AH initials) I thought it was junk and threw it in my coin/junk pouch. At the time, I was in my 2-3mm wetsuit and was working the tide line when I made the discovery. Only upon examining the 1/2" square earring at home did I discover that it was marked S925 with "AH" or possibly "AR" initials. The earring looks impressive because of the 8x10 rows of 80 "diamonds". Ok, given the sterling, I doubt they're diamonds but they look good.
20170109_180559.jpg
20170109_180649.jpg
With the 5th metal detecting outing, my coin count is 158. I'm half way to my first gold piece - let me explain. My metal detecting stats from past years show that I find a gold or platinum piece for every 250-300 coins. Soooo, if 300 is the magic number...you get the drift. However, we are dealing with averages and it assumes that I don't find (and keep) any Cremation tags I uncover. That's right, Cremation tags are BAD BAD luck as I, unfortunately, discovered last year. [Nutshell: Last year I was finding gold/platinum every 200 coins or so until I found 2 Cremation tags and kept them against advice. After that, I went almost 800-1000 coins discovered without any gold/platinum until I threw away the tags and than, again, found a silver and gold ring a few coins later! I'm not superstitious... but! And, don't even talk to me about regression towards the mean kind-of-stuff.] Any ways, in about 2 week (4-5 more MDing trips), I hope to have about 300 coins and a gold piece, stay tuned as I expect some interesting finds to turn-up as I work a 16 mile Florida Key.

Upvote 8
Always nice to break the ice with that first piece of silver for the year. Around here you literally have to break the ice to dig.

Update: Next MD outing - found 12 coins and a 14k Gold Men's wedding band. This brings my ratio to 170 coins / Gold piece on the west coast of Florida after 6 outings. Hope to keep the ratio strong but I'm a believer of "regression towards the mean" sooo it may be a while before my next gold piece. The future will tell but with a new scoop, low tide and calm surf days ahead, looking to add to my gold holdings (and pay for my new Stealth 990ix sand scoop).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back