First Post, 1888 V Nickel (w/error?), some IHCs and small silvers

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. This is my first post and a recap of my first few months of MD "keepers."

The V Nickel is the first "oldie" I found. It was found in a grove of old oaks at alongside a river. The site just "looks old," but I had to hit it about 6-7 times before I got anything pre-1960s. I nearly gave up on the site, but decided to give it another shot and out pops an 1888V in great shape (was originally almost brick red). When I realized what it was, I stuffed it in my pocket and was almost afraid to look at it--fearing it would somehow turn into a regular old Jefferson! I know it's not much for many of you, but I was pumped. Interestingly (?), the nickel has some raised "streaks" from about 9-2 o'clock on the obverse and 9-4 o'clock on the reverse. It really appears to be extra nickel and not corrosion. I haven't seen anything like it on other nickels. Any ideas guys? FYI, I found the large sterling ring on the same hunt.

The silver pendant is a sailboat and was found near a local sailing club. I'm in the process of trying to find the owner.

The 1902 Indian Head Cent was found in a POUNDED local park here in town, so I was pretty happy to find it as a greenhorn. FYI, the cent was green (i.e. probably not a recent drop) when dug, but for some reason I decided to give it the acetic treatment??? The 1864 and 1903 IHCs were found at an 1860s school house yard--now a private residence with a very nice owner! Both those IHCs were reading ~67-74 on the AT Pro VDI and were ~6 inches deep. The 1864 would be in great shape but had some sort of trauma and I can't see the ribbon well enough to tell +/- L.

The silver dimes were all found in local parks and usually come in in the 80-84 range at ~4-8" on the ATP.

Thanks for reading guys!

6_12_2013.jpg

Upvote 11

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TinFoil and Welcome to Tnet!!

Looks like you have been doing quite well for a "greenhorn!" Not sure about the V nickel, but it cleaned up well. What method did you use? The 1864 is great--lot of character. The 1902 I think you cleaned up quite well...lemon juice? You certainly did not over do it, that's for sure. Boiling hydrogen peroxide works very well on IH cents. The black dime can easily be cleaned by wetting and wrapping tightly in aluminum foil (wash with dish soap and repeat till it's cleaned). A little baking soda slurry rubbed on with your fingers also cleans up silver nicely.

Good luck finding the owner of that sailboat! Very kind of you!!

Keep up the good work and congrats again on the great finds!

Best, Erik

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Wisconsin for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector_searching.gif
3rd - Nice finds Tin Foil.

OP
OP
Tin Foil

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi TinFoil and Welcome to Tnet!!

Looks like you have been doing quite well for a "greenhorn!" Not sure about the V nickel, but it cleaned up well. What method did you use? The 1864 is great--lot of character. The 1902 I think you cleaned up quite well...lemon juice? You certainly did not over do it, that's for sure. Boiling hydrogen peroxide works very well on IH cents. The black dime can easily be cleaned by wetting and wrapping tightly in aluminum foil (wash with dish soap and repeat till it's cleaned). A little baking soda slurry rubbed on with your fingers also cleans up silver nicely.

Good luck finding the owner of that sailboat! Very kind of you!!

Keep up the good work and congrats again on the great finds!

Best, Erik

Hi Erik. Thanks for the kind words and tips! To clean the V nickel, I used Goes4Ever's SOS pad method. I think I used just vinegar/acetic acid on the 1902 IHC, but I may have used lemon juice (honestly can't remember for sure, but leaning toward vinegar).

OP
OP
Tin Foil

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the welcome Mackaydon and vpnavy! I've been meaning to join/post for while now.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Beautiful coins & silver jewelry -- CONGRATS ON THE V nickel, really good find! :hello2: :notworthy: :occasion18: Also enjoyed your style of telling the story -- let's us feel like we were there too! HH Andi

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharp shooter ultra mag
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds! Looks like your in the right places and know what your doing. Good job!

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TN! Terrific finds- I especially love the V nickel. Your photos are great as well.

OP
OP
Tin Foil

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the support everyone! It is so nice that there are other people who get excited about "an old nickel."

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds, thanks for the props on the cleaning method!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
congrats on your older coin! Regarding the obverse streaks? could be scratches... might also want to research a "lamination" to see if that resembles what's on your coin.

OP
OP
Tin Foil

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking finds, thanks for the props on the cleaning method!

Thanks Goes4ever! I had tried several other approaches with other old nickels without any good results. Your website is great--esp the methods sections! I found it after watching a bunch of your YT videos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread