First post, todays find

usndocgreen

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2013
So,

My dad found a meteorite years ago metal detecting and he finally convinced me to get into detecting. I got an etrac and have been out beating the bushes while on private land in West Virginia. Anyway hello to all on the forum. I have been learning the machine finding cans, shotgun brass, nails, pull tabs foil wrappers etc but have found some old copper pipe, brass tags etc. Today in a creek bed I got a deep hit about 15-35 and dug down to about 16 in. Hit a large metal object then wound up digging another foot down and around to unearth this thing. It ruptured as I was digging and dark black sludge came out. Looks like its older with copper fittings and some wiring Inside through the hole I see. Something heavy is rolling around inside. What is this thing? Compressor? Pressure cooker? Part if an old still? Should I crack it open?

Attachments

• image-3194693856.jpg
    image-3194693856.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 180
  • image-1290442055.jpg
    image-1290442055.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 167
  • image-874668522.jpg
    image-874668522.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My guess would be part of an old still. Interesting.

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice find, and welcome to treasurenet!
HH

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - Notice this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA) usndocgreen.
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector_searching.gif
3rd - Haven't a clue what that puppy actually is - but, a member will jump in shortly to ID it.

OP
OP
U

usndocgreen

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2013
Sorry I am military in the US Navy. In West Virginia for another month then to Maryland for 9 months..

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So,

My dad found a meteorite years ago metal detecting and he finally convinced me to get into detecting. I got an etrac and have been out beating the bushes while on private land in West Virginia. Anyway hello to all on the forum. I have been learning the machine finding cans, shotgun brass, nails, pull tabs foil wrappers etc but have found some old copper pipe, brass tags etc. Today in a creek bed I got a deep hit about 15-35 and dug down to about 16 in. Hit a large metal object then wound up digging another foot down and around to unearth this thing. It ruptured as I was digging and dark black sludge came out. Looks like its older with copper fittings and some wiring Inside through the hole I see. Something heavy is rolling around inside. What is this thing? Compressor? Pressure cooker? Part if an old still? Should I crack it open?

First of all welcome guy.... interesting find. I don't have a clue what this thing is... but with wires inside can't be "real old". I'd say an old still also... but with wires inside??? I assume the rolling around object won't come out the small hole seen in side & top... I'd wait to crack open until someone can ID within a reasonable amount of time. Anyway keep us posted on what you believe and/or find out... Brad

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, welcome to Tnet and thank you so much for your service to our wonderful Country!:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find, usndocgreen in WVa (don't know what it is) and Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT! :hello:

OP
OP
U

usndocgreen

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2013
Thanks everyone. We went back and looked around the area some more and found two old refrigerators just pitched into the woods upstream. So that could be it. I may just bust it open to see what's inside and the salvage the copper fittings.

OP
OP
U

usndocgreen

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2013
Hated dumping this thing out in the woods but no way was I gonna be able to carry it full of whatever that crud was.

Attachments

• image-2762821059.jpg
    image-2762821059.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2848499955.jpg
    image-2848499955.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 97

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes a Compressor and welcome to the forum fayette county here

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what part of the state you in?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks as if it is a compressor off a 1721 Spanish Galleon lost in the waters of West Virginia or possibly the Beale Treasure Bucket! Great Find to my 2 Treasure Hunters!! Good Luck!! VERDE!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net! With your energy, you'll be pulling something really cool from the ground soon! :icon_thumright: Though not relevent to your current find, in general DO NOT BUST OPEN OR TORCH OPEN ANY CLOSED CONTAINER! Old explosives can deteriorate and explode; a friend lost her 15-year old son that way a few years ago. That said, HAVE FUN & WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT POST! :hello: Andi

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flag_navy_27may2013.gif
Oh man - leave it to the U. S. Navy to go in the woods with a MD and find a compressor! GO usndocgreen!
killingme.gif

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vpnavy! Thanks for the reply! Now the rest of the story from a very proud popa! He actually played football for navy, center and right tackle, but would never mention it, during his four years and then won the award for the highest GPA in the athletic department during his tour!! I'ts really great having a son who can read and cipher!! AMERICA!! GO NAVY!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions