Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a local park and dug many pull tabs and some clad. The clouds were overhead and there was a small breeze creating a very comfortable temperature. The ground was moist and it made for easy digging and so every target that sounded off consistently was a ring to the ear that meant dig! Growing tired of digging the common can tabs I decided to walk halfway across the park to a tot lot but never made it there! A nice hit while speed walking and quickly swinging stopped me in my tracks! The numbers indicated another tab but I wasn't going to skip the solid sound or I would face the dreaded hours afterwards saying, "I should have dug that target I wonder what it's would have been." Well it's a good thing I did because it was a decent find. A silver Catholic Saint Anthony of Padua pendant. It says on the back, "touched to the holy tongue of the saint." It includes the supposed cloth that came in contact with the saint in the center. The person on the left is Saint Anthony and the person on the right is the young Jesus Christ supposedly. Let me know what you think!

ForumRunner_20140714_000503.png

ForumRunner_20140714_000554.png

Upvote 11
Love finding things like this! Nice find! :thumbsup: Remember though, tabs fall in the gold range on most machines.

Last edited:
Yeah you got that right Jarl! I remember last year when I dug a 10k ring with my whites mxt and the VDI said "foil" with something like a +2 number. I almost decided to let it go, dug it and then was so excited when I pulled that out of the ground! I guess in my opinion dig all solid signals if the ground is easy to dig because you never know! Thanks for the info and your advice is true based on my experience!

Really neat find!:hello2: :headbang: Probably more goodies for you at that same park. Though not into organized religion, I treasure the lovely old rosary I dug a couple years ago - silver religious figures and natural seed beads, all still intact though underground for some time. My son dug a very nice religious pendant honoring the first American female saint & it includes a similar memento inside as yours. Looking forward to seeing your next finds! :cat: Andi

When I'm not tired, I dig all repeatable signals, which is how I found my two hunky gold rings in places filled with bottle caps, pull tabs & junk iron! When tired, I screen out the bottle tops, etc. and take my chances of missing the gold. Andi

That must be fun for you and your son golden years it is neat to hear you two doing some m.d. together and enjoying quality time! Your religious items sure do sound interesting. Congrats on the rings and I hope you find more! One way I have heard to distinguish between the pull tab and ring is to scan your coil over the target until it sounds solid and repeatable. Then turn 90 degrees and rescan the target and if the signal is choppy this time it is probably a pull tab or junk.. Valuable items tend to repeat when scanned from multiple angles. But there are always occasions when corrosion and depth play a big part too! Thanks for the stories golden years!

Last edited:
Beautiful find still looking for my first pendant.

Hi Scooter, nice finding there, haven't located any saints medallions yet here, but have some of the other types. My most memorable one was back in the 1980s found a pendant, complete with sterling silver chain to boot! Never have found one with a chain complete since then.

Congrats! Is it silver? I'm pretty sure it is. My bro-in-law just found one of the arch angel st Michael.little smaller than a quarter and thick.sterling silver! I love those.....

I have never seen the religious medal combined with the reliquary like that -very cool ! How is Casper Wyoming as far as sites to hunt ?
and how are you liking your MXT ?

Hey there Argentium Casper Wy is filled with places to search for relics in old ghost towns, coins and jewelry in state and local parks which is what I have mainly searched and even gold prospecting. During the mid 1800's fur trappers were here trading with the Indians right before the westward movement took place. Gold was discovered in the south pass area in the NW end of the state in about 1868. A nugget weighing as much as 34 ounces has been recored and photographed from there . Some tales exist that talk about a 600 ounce boulder from there but who knows if this can be believed! Thousands of wagons crossed here towards California and Montana (Oregon and Boseman trails) in there search for precious metals and tracks are still visible today. I would say with the wagons, railroad, ghost/mining towns, battles between migrating settlers/Indians, gold in every mountain of the state and at least 65% is public land this is a great state to live! By the way Wyoming contains diamonds too with many indicator minerals and actual finds on record!

The MXT is a very capable machine and easy to use for anyone. When you power the machine up all you really have to do is flip the upper switches to the appropriate items you are searching for such as coins and jewelry/relics/prospecting on the left and flip the right switch down to auto ground balance. Then it has knobs for sensitivity, discrimination, and threshold. Set the sensitivity to 9.5 at the white triangle and the discrimination at 2.5 at the white triangle. The pros are ease of use, descent depth (6-7 inches but varies), visual display I'd with an impressive 99 digits, many optional coils to choose from, metal control box represents descent build quality and made in the US. The cons of the machine are it is heavy and can't be hip mounted (4.5lbs), requires 8 AA batteries but there is an optional rechargeable battery pack, noisy operation at times especially by power lines but this can and will affect other detectors too, the pinpoint feature sometimes just goes silent so you need to depress the pinpoint switch again (may just be my machine?). Overall if I was to rate it I would give it a 3.8/5 and say it is very good and does it's job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back