What's new

First silver quarter (FINALLY!), a war nickel (live dig), a Buffalo and some wheats

Dave2000

Full Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2014
Messages
105
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a good afternoon on Saturday on a hillside that I've hunted several times before. Ground was super saturated from several inches of rain which I always think makes for truer signals, and after a slow start these all showed up in about the final 20 minutes. This was on ground I'd covered before a few times.

This is my third Buffalo from this site (no date but I'm working on it), and when I re-checked the hole after I recovered it, there was another nickel signal less than a foot away so I figured I'd film it-- turned out to be a wartime nickel incredibly crusted over with nasty black stuff on the obverse, but it cleaned up great.

All raw pics are in this post, all cleaned up pics I'll post in the first reply. Live dig on the war nickel: https://streamable.com/h687

There were a few wheats, and then finally I dug my first silver quarter! Some of you folks seem to find these daily, but I'm thrilled to find my first. Incredibly crusted over on the obverse (only crusty silver I've ever dug)., but it cleaned up well. Signal was a little shrieky because there was a stainless spoon a few inches away from it (very surprised to see the quarter).

Thanks for looking!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095578.464646.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095592.899800.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095609.668842.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095624.921160.webp
 
Upvote 12
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095686.106542.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095698.360736.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095712.675448.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444095722.826352.webp
 
I've detected many old sites since starting metal detecting this year. Old schools and churches mostly. Most of which I would consider virgin sites. I've only got six silver quarters out of 31 total silvers. People held on to their quarters and halfs pretty well back then. Their also very easy targets even for those early radio shack detectors. Congratulations
 
Thanks-- and it's funny because I definitely wasn't thinking quarter when I was digging it (because the spoon threw off the signal). Even with just the reverse visible initially, it was obviously silver.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    358.6 KB · Views: 90
How did you get the wheat pennies to clean up so nice?
 
How did you get the wheat pennies to clean up so nice?

Heated peroxide, then q-tips and vaseline. I love finding wheats (the crustier the better-- sometimes they clean up great, sometimes not so great). I was surprised the 1929 turned out that good. Some of the older wheats from this site were fairly toasted. I think 1929 is the earliest wheat from this area-- most seem to be 1940s.
 
Congrats on first quarter I'm still looking for my first
 
Nice silvers and buff! Looks like a great day!
 
Congratz! Hopefully many more to follow!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom