First Silver!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
My second day of CRH for halves and I finally struck gold...erm...silver!

I went to three banks today. One bank had $20 of CWR halves ready for searching. I went back to my car with my finds. Searched the first roll...skunk. I thought to myself, "Another wasted lunch". Opened the second roll and....SILVER! What a great feeling! I've never found silver before so my eye wasn't trained to see it but I did notice that one coin was darker than the others at the rim. I checked and it was a 1966!

I then checked the other coins and....my first proof! Glistening amongst it's clad brethren was a Bicenntenial Half Dollar Proof. Being as this is my first ever proof, I am astonished at how someone could spend such a beautiful coin. It's almost a shame that this coin was included in a roll. It has some fingerprints and some light scratches so it's no where near un-circulated but it sure does look beautiful.

With that being said, how would one clean these coins. I know its sacrilegious to clean any coins but I'm sure I'm going to hold on to these two "first finds".

First Proof (Front).jpg First Silver (Front).jpg

Upvote 0

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! Here's to hoping for more finds!

HH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to clean coins is very gently with a bit of soap and water. I use a sonicator since I have access to a chemistry lab

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Best way to clean coins is very gently with a bit of soap and water. I use a sonicator since I have access to a chemistry lab

Thanks! I don't want to put any more scratches on the proof. Should I just gently rub the coin with my fingers while soaking?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't clean the proof. You can clean the '66 with whatever you want to as it will always be worth just melt value.

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to clean proofs, Ive tried it before and that mirror like surface just likes to stay nasty looking once it gets messed up.

Congrats on your first silver!

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! The fingerprints usually wash up well. A lint free soft cloth is ok to rub on them it wont add anymore scratches. The clad coins are pretty tough.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Make a bowl out of aluminum foil shiny side up cover bottom with baking soda, pour in HOT water drop in your silver half, let soak turning occassionally scrub gently with soft cloth. Rinse with warm water, that'll make those common silver halves shine.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The proof, an acetone dip. The 40%'ers, who cares? THey made billions of them. It is not sacrilegious to clean common coins, but opions are like armpits...congrats on those finds!

kimikiri

Jun 4, 2011
Central, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Garrett ACE 350, Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a product called E-Zest that is a "dip", it does not scratch the coin. Any sort of "rubbing" has the potential to scratch the surface of the coin. It is very cheap and effective, I use it on my junk silver sometimes.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first finds, and now welcome to this crazy addiction. Once you realize "it's out there" it's hard to stop looking!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first finds, and now welcome to this crazy addiction. Once you realize "it's out there" it's hard to stop looking!

Oh yea I'm addicted. Sad thing is that I'm running out of banks close to my work. I don't think it would be beneficial to visit a branch every other day. Has anyone ever called a bank to ask about half dollars? I would hate to venture to a bank farther away from work only to come up empty handed.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently called a few banks in the area I will be in after school is over. It's almost like talking to the teller, I have gotten the same responses (for better and for worse) as when I have walked in and asked. I was asking about ordering boxes, I don't know if they could tell you what the tellers have though.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Make a bowl out of aluminum foil shiny side up cover bottom with baking soda, pour in HOT water drop in your silver half, let soak turning occassionally scrub gently with soft cloth. Rinse with warm water, that'll make those common silver halves shine.

I did that with my dime, turned out pretty good, but looked cleaned. Ended up trading that barber along with 4 rosies for a great deal on a Canadian silver dollar.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Also this is how the rolled looked when I opened it. I initially thought I got skunked. The rim on the silver coin is "two-toned" so my untrained eye assumed that this roll did not contain any silver.

photo.JPG

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpeg
    mail.google.com.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also this is how the rolled looked when I opened it. I initially thought I got skunked. The rim on the silver coin is "two-toned" so my untrained eye assumed that this roll did not contain any silver.

You havent been at it long enough. Pretty clear to me. I would suggest date checking for maybe the first 10 boxes to get your eyes trained in

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
You learn to spot them pretty quickly. I edge search and my rule is that if there is a coin I'm can't tell for certain is clad I pull it out and check it. I usually check way more clad (dang 1971s!) than silver that way, but at least I'm reasonably sure I'm not missing anything.

90% halves are usually pretty obvious. It is the 40% halves that will throw you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions