What's new

First Sterling Silver Thimble

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
3,105
Golden Thread
2
Location
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out yesterday evening to a couple sites.
At the first site I found my first Sterling Silver Thimble and a few early memorial pennies.
I like the fancy design, and it appears to be an antique.
The second site was not very productive. A little Bling, a little cha-ching, and then my 9" coil battery dies.
Oh well was hot as hell, and the poison ivy on my arm was rubbing against my armcuff.
 

Attachments

  • DSC02890.webp
    DSC02890.webp
    292.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02891.webp
    DSC02891.webp
    92.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC02892.webp
    DSC02892.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02894.webp
    DSC02894.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC02897.webp
    DSC02897.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02907.webp
    DSC02907.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Thanks everyone for the positive comments, likes, tips, and ID's
Been waiting to find a silver thimble for quite a while now.
Hope to find many more.
Gona have to be on a lookout for that Jewelweed. Cant say ive ever noticed it growing in South Mississippi.
Only had poison ivy a few couple times, and normally it was pretty isolated to one small patch, but this stuff blew up on my forearm in several areas, front and back.
Always used Calomine or Calodryl, "The Pink Stuff" in the past, hopefully it goes away soon.
Anyone have any more info on the Makers Marks?????
HH.
 
Last edited:
That's a nice one! Congrats
 
I haven't found a thimble yet but yours is Awesome! Congratz!

Erik in NJ, your thimble is beyond awesome. Wow!
 
The anchor is this case is not for Birmingham. This is not a British Hallmark. That is why it says 'Sterling' because its copying our finest of silver - ie. our Standard.

I can't help on foriegn marks.

PS. The '8' is the size, not a hallmark.
 
Sweet thimble, both of mine were crushed and scarred.
 
The anchor is this case is not for Birmingham. This is not a British Hallmark. That is why it says 'Sterling' because its copying our finest of silver - ie. our Standard.

I can't help on foriegn marks.

PS. The '8' is the size, not a hallmark.
Thanks for trying Crusader. I searched last night and found the Birmingham England Anchor to be a little different than mine.
Mine appears to have a rope tied to it.
Inside the thimble it looks to have two boxes next to the size, its hard to make out but it looks like there is a sideways H in each box.
Was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this, so I could possibly get a date/era.
I went to a site that had Birmingham hallmarks and did find an HH, but it looked a little different than mine. Prob not the same, but woulda been nice as the Birm HH woulda dated it to around 1815.

Thanks to all who view/like/ & resond.
HH
 
Thanks for trying Crusader. I searched last night and found the Birmingham England Anchor to be a little different than mine.
Mine appears to have a rope tied to it.
Inside the thimble it looks to have two boxes next to the size, its hard to make out but it looks like there is a sideways H in each box.
Was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this, so I could possibly get a date/era.
I went to a site that had Birmingham hallmarks and did find an HH, but it looked a little different than mine. Prob not the same, but woulda been nice as the Birm HH woulda dated it to around 1815.

Thanks to all who view/like/ & resond.
HH

Like I said, not Birmingham or Britain, but the Mark you are talking about is the 'Makers Mark' or manufacturers logo. No idea what country to start with, maybe even the US??
 
I like that thimble. Very nice find, congrats. I have a couple of thimbles, but none that are silver.

I got poison ivy earlier on in the summer, and it was on the arm cuff of my Deus! Apparently I set the cuff down on the PI, and then used the cuff to really grind it into my forearm. Made those cute little brown scars all up and down my arm!

Best of luck to you!
 
Eric, do you know what the red material is?

Not trying to hijack his thread, but it's carnelian stone domed. The same material you see used in some of the of the Roman rings with the carved seals, etc. I found this one in England and believe it dates to the 1800s but just about fell over when I unearthed it. Beautiful piece as is the OP's Sterling thimble.
 
There are a couple good silver sites where you can get help on that Maker's Mark (Silver Salon I believe is one of them, the other has 925 in the name...someone here may know or do a bit of Google searching). The H's in the boxes should be a date code, I believe, and like Crusader said the 8 is the size.
 
Last edited:
Not trying to hijack his thread, but it's carnelian stone domed. The same material you see used in some of the of the Roman rings with the carved seals, etc. I found this one in England and believe it dates to the 1800s but just about fell over when I unearthed it. Beautiful piece as is the OP's Sterling thimble.
Thimble-jacker!! Nah, j/k. You didn't hi-jack my thread.
That is a cool looking thimble you found, I appreciate you showing it.
I was also curious about the stone.
Thanks for taking the time to share some information.
 
You found this in the H'burg area?
 
You found this in the H'burg area?
Nah, im in Ocean Springs on the MS Coast.
Ive only been up to detect in the Hburg area once with andy and his clan.
Lynchberg Landing was the towns name pre-1850.
 
Wow! That is exciting! My parents live in Long Beach. I go down about once a month. I will be there next weekend, August 7-9.
 
Shieldsboro Blues

Thanks Muerte. Cool link. You got them Shieldsboro Blues.
[video=youtube;fnWxZtI3ONY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fnWxZtI3ONY[/video]
 
That thimble is sweet congrats.....:icon_thumleft:
 
Your silver thimble is in beautiful shape. I have found several thimbles including a sterling one, and they were all mashed on at least one side. Congrats on the great find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom