What's new

First Time CRH

HunterOfSnakes

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Hi All,

I'm 15,and I started metal detecting a couple months ago and loved it. Saw this forum and wanted to give some crhing a try. I got with my grandfather $100 in dimes. I was really excited, seeing that my chances of silver looked pretty good compared to the other people. I did not get so lucky, and did not find anything but common Roosevelts. No silver or anything, but I hope to get another try. The problem is that I can't drive and don't have a lot of cash. I live in Maryland. Is there anything I could do better? Or is this common? Whats the typical ratio per rolls? It was still fun opening the rolls in hope though!

Thanks!
HOS
 
Upvote 0
Yes HOS, it's a blast roll searching. Maybe try for the hand-rolled. Better chance overall. The key to dimes, is searching large volumes of dime. The more the merrier! My average is about 1 silver per $140 searched.
 
Read, read and read!!! All your questions will be answered. :icon_thumright:
HH
enamel7
 
Hey HOS,
Welcome to coin roll hunting! Sorry you didn't find any silver first time out. To be honest it is hard unless you look a large volume of coins. That being said it is still fun and very possible to find silver if you keep at it. Hope you the best in hunting!!!! Enjoy your time with your Grand dad!
 
Thanks for all the kind answers! I have read this forum for about a month or more now, and I keep learning! Sure wish I had the money to do volume.
 
Very mature for a 15 year old. Excellent grammar usage and sentence structure. Perhaps the American educational system works????

Good luck HunterOfSnakes,

apush :read2:
 
Allow me to throw in a couple of suggestions: If finding wheat pennies and possibly even an Indian interests you, $100 will buy a lot of pennies to search. You'll be 16 and driving before you know it. You can "flip" your $100 several times weekly...even daily. Buy $100 worth of coin, search them, cash 'em in and do it all over again.

If you want to increase your bankroll, then you have to find silver...and sell it. Find someone around that will pay a decent price and add it to your bankroll. Half dollars are the best way to go to do this, in my opinion. Buy all the halves you can find. If you have any money left over, then get dimes. Thats my suggestion anyway. Good luck!
 
Thanks. Weird to say, but I'm actually home schooled, but I guess you could say the school system still works! I'm currently working my way through about 70 lbs of pennies from my grandmother of which she collected over the years, and have found some wheats and foreign coins. I'm also separating the copper from the zinc. Most of it is copper. I sell on Ebay. I tried halfs but they were "sold out". I've found several silver dimes in change before, and have a collection passed down through my family. 2 months and counting till' permit!

Thanks,
HOS
 
One of the best lessons I can offer you in life is to be happy with what you have.

Be thrilled that you have a grandfather that helped you with the dimes, and be happy that you had a $100 for the search.

Since you don't drive on your own, this will give you a chance to be excited about dumping what you have, and flipping it for another 20 rolls of dimes.

I do drive, and pick up two rolls or so every chance I get. Most people here would laugh their heads off at that...but I am enjoying it. Isn't that what counts?

As well, ALWAYS ask the teller if they have any halves or old coins. Tell them that you collect coins. Most people will help a young person out. Make sure your family always asks if they have any halves on hand when they are at banks.

HTH and HH!!!
 
clovis97 said:
As well, ALWAYS ask the teller if they have any halves or old coins. Tell them that you collect coins. Most people will help a young person out. Make sure your family always asks if they have any halves on hand when they are at banks.

HTH and HH!!!

I agree, always ask the tellers if they have any halves, old or odd coins,
and ask all the tellers if you can. Get to know as many tellers at as
many banks as you can, and tell them you are starting a coin collection.
If you are lucky you might find a teller who will hold coins just for you.
I believe you will find many that will be helpful. Good Luck!
 
Don't get me wrong, I loved the chance to search through that many dimes! I was just curious about if there was maybe something I could do better, and many have taken the time to do that, and it is very helpful!
 
apush said:
Very mature for a 15 year old. Excellent grammar usage and sentence structure. Perhaps the American educational system works????

Good luck HunterOfSnakes,

apush :read2:

Well he is hunting for silver afterall - smarter than your average 'kid' let alone adult.
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom