Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Don't forget 1970 as they are also 40% silver. As far as he other proof's and such, they sound like spending $ to me. There was that one half posted that has a staple stamped into it at time of minting. That would be a nice error to find.
GOOD LUCK!

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
what I find interesting is working a coin album, I use Dansco, to fill it from the halves you search, you can keep updating the coins in it to better ones as you find them.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to do them by the $10,000 batch if you want to find anything. Don't waste your time. I just did $10,000 of halves and only got 5 silvers, worth TEN DOLLARS!

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda luck of the draw isn’t it? Could find a lot in a little and a little in a lot, right?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So I am picking up $260 in halves today and another $500 is on order. As a newbie I've read the guides posted here and other places and it appears I am looking for coins minted in 1969 and before. Is that correct? Is there anything else glaring I should be looking for? Thanks!

Strongly recommend you read the BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS thread at the top of the CRH page.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...-beginners-guide-coin-roll-hunting-terms.html

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
There are also several books about it on Amazon type "Silver coin hunting" in the search bar, they cost money but are a fun read

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck!! CRH is something I have been thinking about trying just to have something to do rather than sit and stare out the window looking for a break in the weather.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck!! CRH is something I have been thinking about trying just to have something to do rather than sit and stare out the window looking for a break in the weather.

Do you guys in VA actually have a winter? :laughing7: Here in New England in January we didn't get over 10 degrees for weeks. Anyhow too cold for me to get outside with my telescope so I CRH.

What years were you Navy? I was in 72-76 a PH3, my nephew just made Lt. Cmd. He is currently deployed but out of VA Beach has taught at Top Gun.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am picking up $260 in halves today and another $500 is on order. As a newbie I've read the guides posted here and other places and it appears I am looking for coins minted in 1969 and before. Is that correct? Is there anything else glaring I should be looking for? Thanks!

IF you want to look for errors while silver searching, I believe there were some minor doubled die varieties for the 74' and 71' on the obverse and you may find some 82' or 72' with missing designer initials on the reverse. Finding them (especially in circulated conditions) will not net you any big payday to jump and shout for; but, still a nice add to any collection and worth more than face value.

Good luck!

TwoYewts

Silver_Coin_Newb

Mar 6, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400

Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt mainly for silver, 1969 and before. I’ve only came across one guy who says he’s found a 1970 in circulation. I have no patients to hunt for errors. But I do check all coins for my album. I find a lot of NIFC for the book so. And 1987 seems rare.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done best walking into banks and asking if they have any halves. Boxes, not so much and I have stopped that course of action.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was using a Whitman folder, have switched to a Dansco, but here is where I was

Kennedy current.jpg

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt mainly for silver, 1969 and before. I’ve only came across one guy who says he’s found a 1970 in circulation. I have no patients to hunt for errors. But I do check all coins for my album. I find a lot of NIFC for the book so. And 1987 seems rare.

BU '87s are maybe worth $1 The money is in BU '82s, but you can never find any of them.

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you find anything?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread