First Time Out With Minelab Safari - Silver Rings in an olddddd park

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I'm sorta new here. I've had an account and always looked at what others had to say. Now I want to join in on the fun.
I picked up a Minelab Safari Metal Detector about a week ago. The machine is an absolute monster. I went out for my first
hunt today in an old park dated back to the 1600's. A lot of history in this area. Anyhow, I found these two rings shown in the photos. Both are stamped inside, one says .925 and the other without a decimal place 925. And something next to it that I can not make out just yet.

My question to everybody is, how can I date these? I am still new to this hobby, and everybody is probably laughing at me (lol) saying "thats probably not even 10 years old!" But I am excited to say that this is my first silver find. Like I said, I am on a very old property with history linked to it, but it is still a park so it doesn't mean the rings are old, as much as I am hoping they are. I have detected in the past, but I never did any research or put the time in to this awesome hobby. I had an ACE 250, also a great machine, but I've only found coins. And when I say coins, I mean like 2001 and up, lol. I couldn't find an old coin if they were laying on top of the ground staring at me in the face. I wish I could...Perhaps you all may have suggestions on that as well?

photo.JPG (sorry the photo is sideways, you can see the one has a half-sun face)

Thanks everybody!

Brett

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 73
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Upvote 2

lesche Is More

Mar 14, 2014
North Dartmouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that they are modern 1970s - Current day
but still great finds and the lack of age should not discourage you.
You got them so your doing something right!
I am also New to the forum and I also Swing a Safari.
Feel Free to pm me with any questions.

Happy Hunting -LIM-

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes - Lesche is correct in his assessment - 1970's to current dating for these rings - Nice find , Silver is always a welcome find .

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the quick response! I appreciate it a lot. Just out of curiousity, may I ask how you assessed the rings to make that determination? I would love to be able to figure that out on my own one day. Thanks so much again, it makes me want to head right back out there! so much fun!

rayrayvegas

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Great finds Brett. Great start. Congrats. Just get to know your machine like the back of your hand.good luck and happy hunting.

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the quick response! I appreciate it a lot. Just out of curiousity, may I ask how you assessed the rings to make that determination? I would love to be able to figure that out on my own one day. Thanks so much again, it makes me want to head right back out there! so much fun!
I'm pretty sure that if they were old they'd say sterling or fine silver or if the history your thinking they'd be unmarked. Basically the .925 indicates it's modern

lesche Is More

Mar 14, 2014
North Dartmouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you used NETR Online • Historic Aerials for the area your hunting?
i can see alot of old trails outlines for ball fields etc.. i try to hit these Higher Traffic Areas

I made my Determination on the rings Via the style of the rings vs the style of the times
I buy and sell antiques through a local Antique store and alot of the styles of
the times Carried into the jewelry. The 925 marking is a good indication as well
Sterling was a more popular older mark but is still used.
I have also Thrifted alot Reselling on ebay
and had to look up so many pieces
and train myself to be able to tell gold or silver
and the marks of various countrys
and really get into detail describing these items to Buyers
Portuguese gold is popular here so 3 of the rings i have found Detecting
have been portugese gold..odd tiny hallmarks
with a stags head looking left and 800 for 19.2 k

The French are Similar in style

My avatar was a Thrift Find 6$ 7.2 dwt 12 carats of ceylon sapphires
Its my favorite thing i own

Basically alot of Research.
and Google

And the help of Others Via the internet or In real life.
Because where do any of us really learn anything
Than from other People.

I can Write you a small (cheat Sheet) of what things i have found with my safari
have rung up as if you want. Swing Slow =)

-Lim-

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks again everybody.

Lim, that would be great if you could do that. I'm slowly getting the hang of the Safari.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya got a good machine, learn it well and you will so much, very nice rings...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread