first time out with the GTI 2500

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
got out to swing the GTI 2500 for the first time this morning. went to a school that i have been to a bunch of times. the machine was surprisingly easy to operate and understand. i had no problems with it at all and didnt even have to look at the manual once in the field. the standard coil pinpointed well and overall the machine was very stable. i switched to the larger 12.5" imaging coil and found that it pinpointed well also,and provided a bit more depth. all day the deepest target i dug was a clad dime at 6", but maybe there were not any deeper targets to find. the true target sizing feature was pretty neat.it works great on shallow 1" to 4" targets. if the salt elim feature works well, i would think this machine would kill on the beach! after 4" though the size readout became less acurate.the machine was fooled from time to time into thinking a crushed bottle cap or canslaw was a coin, but i was kind of expecting this to happen anyway. the weight of the machine wasnt really an issue, and i got used to it very quickly.so far so good! i will write a review of the machine after i feel i know it well enough to be fair and honest. anyway,here is what i found:

1-1945 WHEATIE
8- CLAD DIMES
1-CLAD QUARTER
1- CLAD NICKEL
5- CLAD PENNIES
and an enamaled pendant in the shape of an acoustic guitar
thanks for looking!............oh yeah.......almost forgot, i found a round mettallic object that i thought was a large cent at about 6". after i got home and cleaned it off im not so sure it is a coin,but i cant rule it out either. it is ever so slightly larger than a large cent but i cant read anything or see any features on it at all.its soaking in olive oil now. if it turns out to be more than an electrical knockout thingy i will let you know......see you all around!

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a great first outing with the unit with some good finds. Thanks for sharing!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice test run! That GTI 2500 is a serious coin and relic hound. Good luck and you will probably really enjoy using it but it's just a little heavy. HH, Mike

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
hey treasure kidd! i went back to the 2nd coin store, where the guy said his dad (with the knowledge of coins) would be there and there was a sign on the door "be back in an hour". >:( this place is a bit of a drive for me so i wasn't real happy. i keep meaning to bring it to another coin dealer, but the next closest one is even farther away.I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place....on the one hand i want to know what its worth, and on the other i dint want to drive forever to see another clown that cant id it. one of these days ill get off my keister and get someone to look at it...........i do have an update on the coin like object i found. i made a homemade electrosis setup and cooked the coin for a while, ( i know it prolly wasn't the best thing to do but what good is a valuable old coin if i cant id it!)and i am able to see some detail now. it looks to me to be a 1827 large cent matron head! ....i think! I'm still cooking it some more and it seems to be improving but ill tell ya, I'm just happy to find an old coin no matter what its worth! i just wish the old copper coins i find weren't so corroded.the soil around here must be hell on copper.

Z

ZumbroKid

You will be very busy with your new machine, go over some more spots you did with the other one. Let us know if you find deeper stuff there.

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
ok im afraid to do any more electrosis on the coin. there is still some corrosion on the back, but im beginning to lose definition on the front. i think this is as good as its gonna get. i can read a faint date of 1827, ladies bust facing left with a liberty cap, stars around the rim all the way around the bust im going to say a matron head large cent. i wish i could read the back though. does any one know what the size of the half cent was in 1827? im not sure but i dont think the half cent had stars all the way around the bust.....at any rate i dont think i can clean it any more. oh well....another barely identifiable copper coin for the collection. you guys kill me with the great condition coppers you find! ;)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang it Red! I wanna see!!!! :-\

You got a new detector and didn't even think about a camera! You know we gotta see those finds! ;D

Sounds like an awesome find!!! Congrats!!!! :o

Nana ;)

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
nana, the next thing on the list of things to get is a more powerful computer that can do more than get me online! i promise!! besides...........this one isnt much to look at. kinda looks like a dirty copper slug. its in really poor shape :(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Income tax refund! ;D

Your coin finds can't possibly look any worse than mine!

:D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the large cent, Red. I know what you mean about the coppers coming out of the ground in bad condition. That's one of my biggest dissappointments about metal detecting. Every once in the while, though, you get a nice surprise. Keep on looking!

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would love to find one in any condition....congrats!

is this what the coin looks like?

pictures from coinfacts.com

Attachments

• large_cent_1827_n02_obv.jpg
    large_cent_1827_n02_obv.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 279
  • large_cent_1827_n02_rev.jpg
    large_cent_1827_n02_rev.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 291
OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
yup! thats the one! only 1000 times worse condition!!

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
CC said:
hollowpointred said:
yup! thats the one! only 1000 times worse condition!!

Hey, don't sweat the condition. Just finding one of these is a special treat all by itself.

Just think, at that very spot someone probably dropped that coin over 150 years ago! For the USA that's pretty cool.

Congrats!

i couldnt agree more! i am very lucky to live in delaware with the history it has (the first state,one of the original 13 colonies). i am just now learning how to find the spots that sometimes have stuff like this there, largely in part to the great info and people here at t-net! im happy yo find oldies no matter what the condition or value!

Z

ZumbroKid

You will find some better shape stuff, just a matter of time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions