First time out!

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
I went out for the first time with a metal detector last week.? I have been researching the subject of metal detecting for over a month, and finally I just HAD to go!!!? I think I've read every single post on the TreasureNet Forum!? ?:)? I don't have a metal detector, because I don't have the money right now.? I went to an equipment rental and rented their only metal detector: a Garrett Freedom Ace Plus.? I was excited about going, but did not think I would find anything more than nails and rusted iron.? I was greatly surprised with what I found!? I spent the entire day detecting my Dad's yard.? His house was originally built in the 1860s by some farmers.? The farm covered about 1000 acres in the area.? You wouldn't know it by the looks of the outside of the house, as it has been "updated" over the years.? Within five minutes of detecting, the first beep turned out to be a 1951 Franklin Half Dollar!!!? Man, I was ready to spend the rest of the week there after that!? The penny is 1919--ring appears to be brass or copper (?)--shards of pottery (?)--Can someone tell me what the other thing is that looks like a thimble???--pitchfork--file.

I also found a single-handled pan that has a strange design on it, and appears to be made out of tin or some other cheap, thin metal.? And the find that tops them all is a copper coin that is the same size as an early large cent.? It is worn completely down front and back with nothing visible whatsoever, except for half of the wreath pattern on the reverse.? The coin is soiled very badly, and so I am soaking it in acetone to try to bring out a date or something else (so far it is working pretty well!).? I can add pictures later when it is done soaking.

Here are the pictures of my finds...

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds!!!
About your close-ups, I have found that with my little cheap digital camera, if you hold a magnifying class in front of the lens, it will let you get a much closer shot of the targets...

Happy Hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread