First time using Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200! Tips?

Jul 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello folks,

I've had a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 laying around for about a year in my closet and it's time to bring it out and try some hunting. I haven't had much time and wasn't really interested but now I decided it's time. I tried it out in my backyard and there are way too many false signals. Is this because of radio interference or from wires hanging above? I will be going out to a beach and try it then, hopefully it will work better? When I was in my backyard the other day in the garden, I tried detecting and it beeped once. So I began digging in the spot it beeped and nothing? I tried swiping it over the same spot and it didn't make any beeping noise? Could this be a faulty detector or is this normal? Basically, it tells me first that there is something, when I swipe the detector over the same spot again it's silent.

When I head out tomorrow to the beach, any tips? Do I discriminate any of the metals? Or should I start off with all metals? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Explorer 2200 is waterproof so I could submerge the coil into the water right? Also, I know this is too early to ask but when is it time to get a new detector? Do most in the hobby start with a $500 detector or go with a cheaper one? Just wondering what people have owned when they start. It seems that a cheap detector won't find anything. Is that true? What overall is the difference between a $1200 detector and a $200 one? Is it mainly the components and quality? Or the accuracy of it? I've seen some crazy underwater detectors that I think I would love. The Minelab Excalibur II looks amazing 8-) Would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
You won't like what I have to say about the BH 2200 though, so stop reading now.
First, go to the nearest construction �� site you can find and throw it under the closest bulldozer. Only then will the BH 2200 find metal. ;)
Also, power lines (EMI), will effect most detectors, as will salt water beaches. Especially wet sand.
Yes, if you have the means, buy another detector. Consider how serious you will take mding or a new machine will also be closeted for a year.
If you are set on using the 2200, go to the Brands forum for Bounty Hunter Q&A.
Very good luck.
Peace ✌

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I started MDing about 3 months ago with a Fisher F2. I found over $30 of clad, 3 wheat pennies, 3 sales tax tokens and a 1907 Barber quarter with it. So, yes, a beginner detector will find stuff.
However, I just switched to a Fisher F75 and it is like parking the 1985 nissan 5 speed pickup truck and getting into the 2015 Audi A6 (at least IMO).

Also, the F2 was not very good on the beaches in Mississippi. On the beaches in Alabama it wouldn't even work, just constantly chattered. So, I bought a dedicated beach machine, the Fisher CZ20. I will be using it exclusively when I go visit my parents on the Gulf coast once a month.

Hope any of this helps. Welcome to the addiction and Happy Hunting!!! :laughing7:

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said before throw away the 2200 BH, look for a used one that new started around 500.ish. Then look here and ebay for it and pay 250ish. Best one for used price seem to be Teknetics Gamma 6000 is very good as are the minelab 505 (if you can find one) Garrett 350 maybe even a Garrett 250 (very easy to learn). Fisher F70, or F4 and lets not forget about Tesoro. Just stay away from BH that only stands for Beyond Help

Personally I like a VDI read out to go with sound as I don't hear that well so I am partial to that type

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread