First time what do i need

71 duster

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2010
Webster,Fl
I just got the chance to search ,with the owner ,never before developed property in cent. fl. just off lake apopka where do i start and what do i need to bring. what do i need to look for? there is supposedly a history of indian activity on the property never mowed or plowed is a probe useful? a shovel ? a sifter? i metal detect on the beaches ,never tried this before, maybe as adicting as the beach. thanks for any help

Upvote 0
Look for some chips, flakes of flint, and arrowheads in wash outs or anywhere you find bare dirt. Then expand the search from that general area to around a 100 yard diameter. There are lots of websites that will give you the best information on where to search. Good Luck!

Any help? I live in central florida and would love to help you in your search for the elusive artifacts that lay hiden beneath the surface. But no seriously if the property is directly on the lake I would be careful about useing any probes or such tools in the water, florida has some pretty stricked laws about excuvation of artifacts in state waters which that is. I would concentrate on the property , but only if you have written permission from land owner. Do some test holes and go as deep as you safely can.Take your time , patients is the key! That lake has some of the best artifacts I have ever seen bar none! PM me if you like and we can talk!Good luck.

Eyeballs to the ground. Turn over every rock you see.
Walk in rows or corkscrew circle. Keep rocks with sharp edges or
anything that looks altered by man.
Chert or flint is smooth and not grainy. However, Stone tools such
as axes and hammerstones may be made from non smooth, grainy
material such as granite.
Good luck. Look forward to seeing your finds.
-Darrin

On another note , that lake is one of the most polluted bodys of water in florida. Just telling you this so if you do decided to go in the water, keep your head above the surface.Nasty place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back