First time with MY detector!

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I borrowed one and did ok, so I ponied up and got one used. Headed out to a 19th century homestead site to see what I could find.

Plenty of modern trash...
IMG_20141011_165156.jpg

A few interesting finds - a 2014 penny, paint-marker practice shells from a 9mm, a handful of copper and lead bullet fragments, and part of a shotgun shell from the 1930's-ish. I'm hoping the railroad spike and other iron relic (any ID help??) are from the homestead.
IMG_20141011_165841.jpg

Any good way to date these bullets??
IMG_20141011_200802.jpg

Then I stopped and hit a group campsite. Few interesting things, and $0.39 in clad. Anyone recognize the silver cap-thing?? My buddy thought it might be for a cigar case or something...
IMG_20141011_191331.jpg
IMG_20141011_200748.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 10
railroad spike is cool.
paint-marker practice shells are called simunitions, they kinda hurt.

Nice finds as time passes it you will get better finds.Good luck..HH

That old silver cap would make my day! :notworthy: It might be the lid to an old container for matches from early 1900's -- someone here will probably chime in with a detailed opinion. Have fun & keep us posted on your next hunt! Andi

That old silver cap would make my day! :notworthy: It might be the lid to an old container for matches from early 1900's -- someone here will probably chime in with a detailed opinion. Have fun & keep us posted on your next hunt! Andi

It was just laying on the surface, and when I first found it, I thought it was aluminum. Once I looked closer something just didn't look right for aluminum. My brother was pretty sure the 925 stamp is a reference to being 92.5 silver, ie sterling silver.

Cool digs! Silver is always nice! HH, Michael

A friend of mine "eyeballed" a find like that in an old stone quarry. His was a snuff box cover to liven up the old guys sartorial appearance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back