First trip to the Mother Lode

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Try Indian Valley Campgrounds, located just below Downeyville on Hwy 49, the North Fork.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Italian Bar outside of Columbia has a streach of open to the public river and if they're not full you can get right next to the water.

S

stefen

At one time, Knott's Berry farm in Orange County (near Disneyland) imported gold bearing sand and would charge you to pan...actually got better color in minutes than most people got in days in the Mother Lode Country.

OP
OP
N

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
I will post here when I return home. Hope to havea pic or two of some good stuff.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the rivers, creeks and tributaries in the Sierras has potential for gold. Just find an unclaimed and public acsessable area and have fun.
Best chance of finding anything is where the water flow slows just below a fast stretch or rapids. Dig just behind any boulders in the stream and don't overlook any cracks in the bedrock.

Have fun and post some pics
Steve

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Yea Knott's,, First place I ever panned,, in 1966. Check out the Auburn State Rec Area. There were plans to build a dam in that area and flood it. The State bought up land and claims and then the Dam plans fell through. Now there are around 30 miles of river open to recreational panning with no worries your claim jumping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread