First try at a new hobby (beginners luck)

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m brand new to this and this was my first attempt outside of my yard. My mother I law owns an old house and I’m certain now that it’s never been searched. My very first hole I found a 1916 Barber dime!! 10 minutes later I dug a hole and pulled 21 trace tokens out!! Several wheat pennies, a 46’ dime and a sterling silver napkin ring and what I think is play money were just some of the goodies I found. Needless to say I’m totally hooked. I’ll be digging her yard for at least another year. Being new I’d love to hear what you guys think of all this. Is this non-typical?

Attachments

• 1074841A-3CEF-4D27-A1E7-57CB61492378.jpeg
    1074841A-3CEF-4D27-A1E7-57CB61492378.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
  • 355CF3AF-FFC6-47A9-9337-BC0762A4CD35.jpeg
    355CF3AF-FFC6-47A9-9337-BC0762A4CD35.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 202
  • 18288E67-5259-4B16-AC59-8993F56FECFD.jpeg
    18288E67-5259-4B16-AC59-8993F56FECFD.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 125
Upvote 40
My friend with a start like that one I know you will be hooked on this hobby.I love finding good for tokens.Simply said that was the best start in metaldetecting that I have seen posted.Great dimes also. Welcome to t-net.

Great start!! What do those trade tokens say? Are they all the same?

Very first hole!!!! WOW. I'm still waiting for my first barber.

Hey Steve, most of them are the same, with the round hole but 4 of them have hexagon holes. The round ones say Good for 5 cents in trade. The hex hole ones say Silver King Novelty Indianapolis Ind and on the back it says Machines Leased On Profit Sharing Basis.

Excellent start and nice finds. Good luck & happy hunting and welcome to the hobby and our forum.

Welcome and congrats on scoring right out of the chute!

My first silver coin was an '03 Barber dime.

The downward spiral has started sir, hold on tight.

Those slot machine gaming tokens are great, you hit it big for a first hunt. My first silver was a Barber dime but it took me a year to find. Congrats!

Welcome,
I think you are on your way to GOLD.

Last edited:
Now don't be disappointed if you happen to dig a pull tab one of these days. It's happened to a couple of members on the fourm.:thumbsup:

I'll tell you how my first day detecting went. I was 12 years old and had a brand new White's Eagle II that I resold candy at school to get money for. It arrived from Kellyco with a malfunctioning speaker, but I didn't know the difference. So I went into the front yard with my busted detector and got one of those "silver dollar" readings on the meter that maxed out the depth meter right next to a sidewalk. I started digging, and an hour later the hole was getting embarrassing so I filled her in and went inside to wait for dark. That night I came back and deepened that hole to a couple of feet, and it was equally wide. About midnight I filled her in again and decided to wait for the next night. I was using a full sized shovel and had a cavern large enough for most of my body when I finally gave up on that hole and my silver dollar. That's when I moved to the curb strips and got over real coins and figured out that my speaker was broken, and that on again off again silver dollar signals were all lies. To top it off, Kellyco made me pay for the repairs and my candy savings was already spent on the detector!

It would seem then that you had a very blessed and lucky first day detecting. Don't get used to it! haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back