First Vaquero Hunt - Moonlit Soccer Fields

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soccer fields are a fantastic proving ground for any detector - most coins will have 2" or more depth, and some even make it to the 6-7" level. This is one of the first places I hunted when I moved here, and its nighttime accessibility is a big plus for me (when the sprinklers aren't on LOL)

I spent about 3 hours last night getting familiar with the Vaquero: Sensitivity 8, Threshold 2:00 position, Disc was the tick mark between nickel and iron, and I turned GB a little negative, not the 1/4 turn but maybe 1/8 or so....these settings hit a dime in an air test at 9", and I know there's more potential! I figured this was sensitive enough for what I was doing, and I did pull a couple 6" dimes that sounded good, although they were clad :laughing7:

got a junker ring right off the bat which only fueled the desire for more jewelry!

SAM_2378.JPG

This machine ran super-smooth throughout the hunt, and I didn't get many iron targets. The foil targets were broken and choppy, but I dug them anyway. I'm starting to see how some aluminum sounds clipped while the coins are more mellow and have a "broad" sound to them. Funny thing I didn't get a single nickel :icon_scratch:...but I'm sure I will tonight!

SAM_2382.JPG

Did manage to score a broken sterling bracelet, it rang out loud and clear and was pretty shallow.

SAM_2377.JPG

Today I went to the house where I pulled the 10K ring from and scanned a little with the Vaquero. I cranked the disc to nearly max, and found a few repeatable targets worth digging, but didn't. I will return there on Sunday :laughing7:

This is the same house where I used the F70 in several different setups using the 11" DD coil and didn't turn up squat after an hour of hunting. I walk onto the property with the Vaq with HIGH DISC settings and get a few faint hits right away....I'm literally salivating to get back there...but for now - it's back to the soccer fields!

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean about the aluminum. Had my Golden Sabre out today hunting a old rodeo arena. Strange thing is I would dig some of those choppy signals and one was a square tab. Then later I got another really sweet deeper single that I would have swore was a coin and it turned out to be another square tab. But, most of the time if its a coin signal it stops me in my tracks and sounds sweet. Love that sound.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy to hear that the Vaquero is working out for you. Do some experimenting with the sensitivity settings in your coin garden to see what works best in your ground for depth. One other thing, the length of the audio response tone to a particular target will get shorter and broken as it gets closer to the point where it will be discriminated out. That is why I keep the discrimination set almost always at a particular setting. I let my ears do the discriminating. When you move the discrimination setting around your ears will be thrown off.

The Silver µMax best demonstrates this in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt4V8G6KVeI

Tesoro Silver uMax Audio Response On Different Targets - Discrimination Set At 'iron'.
Notice how the audio changes when I raise the coil as I sweep over the different targets.
Target Order
1) Can Slaw
2) Foil Sports Drink Cap
3) Dime
4) Quarter
5) Small Silver Ring
6) Larger Silver Ring
7) Medium 14K Gold Wedding Band

Last edited:

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy to hear that the Vaquero is working out for you. Do some experimenting with the sensitivity settings in your coin garden to see what works best in your ground for depth. One other thing, the length of the audio response tone to a particular target will get shorter and broken as it gets closer to the point where it will be discriminated out. That is why I keep the discrimination set almost always at a particular setting. I let my ears do the discriminating. When you move the discrimination setting around your ears will be thrown off.

The Silver µMax best demonstrates this in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt4V8G6KVeI

Tesoro Silver uMax Audio Response On Different Targets - Discrimination Set At 'iron'.
Notice how the audio changes when I raise the coil as I sweep over the different targets.
Target Order
1) Can Slaw
2) Foil Sports Drink Cap
3) Dime
4) Quarter
5) Small Silver Ring
6) Larger Silver Ring
7) Medium 14K Gold Wedding Band
Good Video Tab! Thanks for the information on setting up the disc.

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love my Vaq Amazing how quite it is in my soil even with sen cranked. Nice hunt!!! I even like the junk rings.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread