First worthwhile find........and Hi

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just got back into detecting after a 25+yr hiatus. Started out back then with a Bounty Hunter I got for Christmas looking around the ballfields,etc.

Now Im using my daughters Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 she got for Christmas...because she has never used it. I guess you can say its mine now. Wanting to upgrade as soon as I can.

I have only been out a few times so far. First excursion was to an old church down the road that was established back in the 1860s. Its only used now for dinners maybe twice a year. Didnt have any luck because it is real trashy....old style pull tabs,etc and the church has recieved a new roof and soffits so there are nails and aluminum scraps everywhere. Once I master the Discriminate and Tone modes, I'll go back and look some more.

Today I went out in the woods behind the house....I have 8 acres in rural NC. Found some modern nails way out in the middle of nowhere..... and this bottle. I tried doing a search? and have not found anything about it. Its modern too I guess because of the screw cap. Im definately not gonna open it, not knowing what is inside. Might be some of that goo that brought the dead back to life in Return of the Living Dead.

At least it wasnt a nail. Sorry for the book but I just wanted to share my first non-trash find and tell you hello.

Bottle has Mifflin on front and back near the top

On the bottom it has Mifflin Chemical Corp....Pat. App. For

[cen​

Upvote 0
How ya doing, Zeke. Welcome aboard. I would keep at that church! In amongst that junk are probably some good silver goodies. I'm with you on that bottle, and i would not open it, as there is no telling what is in it :o

Welcome back to the hobby!
I'm with you guys, I wouldn't open it either...it's an interesting looking bottle though.

Hey, great story on how you got back into it. I detected when I was much younger and gave it up for many years. Then my daughter asked for one for her birthday not too long ago and I was the one that really got into it again and she lost interest. Now I am totally hooked again and have been finding some great stuff. Almost the same story as yours. Best of luck with it.

Welcome, Zeke!? You might get a better response on IDing that bottle if you post it again under the bottle heading...? Looks good, though, and thanks for sharing!

welcome
hey maybe if you rub the bottle you might get lucky and find the genie but if you have luck like mine you will rub the bottle break it and get the goo on yah and there you would have it........ zombified..... :P

mav

Old churches can be great producers. I know a guy that found a $2 1/2 gold piece at an old 1850ish church. He found a lot of silver there too. I went to check it out and found he and his buddies did a pretty thorough job of cleaning the place out, but I am heading there again when I get my detector back from repair. Can't ever ALL be cleaned out.

Welcome to the addiction, Zeke. Don't give up on the old church just yet. Cleaning out trash is part of the hobby and how some of the best finds turn up. Many times I've hunted behind people that knew their detectors discrimination and walked over targets that were "trash" signals. My last mercury dime came from one such place. When learning a new detector I dig every signal just to assure myself that me and the detector are in aggreement. Good luck & HH! Chris

Churches have given me and one of my buddies some of our best finds. Standing liberty quarters, barber silver, indian heads including some key dates, an 1886 V-nickel and many merc's rosies etc..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back