Quick question about some silver...

The jury is still out when it comes to this subject with me. I would say electrolysis for the quarter, but per a previous topic post i made, my feelings on this method are stilla bit mixed at the moment. If the rosies are clad i wouldnt even bother unless you tumble them. I dont have a tumbler and i'm to the point where i just throw clad away for another finder if it's real nasty. Zinc pennies i wont even bother with at all.

I'd check the date on that quarter first to see if its rare. If it is I WOULD NOT CLEAN it. If its so corroded you can't see the date (like the one under 'sniping silver' I found the other day), it probably won't matter much, and a tumbler is probably the best way. Or you could try electrolysis-- but again I wouldn't do this if the coin has any numismatic value. If its lightly tarnished and you just want to put it in a scrap book, you can soak it in vinegar for a few minutes and rub it in baking soda. Wash it thoroughly with water after rubbing it, and dry it right away. For heavy tarnish put it on aluminum foil when you soak it in the vinegar.

Thanks for the replys.........The quarter is not rare. Just a silver quarter. I can tell by the sound. I used to be a bank teller. Anyway...I guess I'll just use the tumbler. These coins have a patina and are crusty. They almost look rusty. I'll give it a shot unless anyone has another suggestion.

Have a productive day everyone :D

Moon

Try CLR cleaner. Stands for Calcium - Lime and Rust. just follow the directions.exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back