Fisher CZ-3D

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read good things about this detector, but I have a few questions as well.

1. How well does this detector separate between iron and conductive targets?
2. How fast does this detector recover? Will it do well in competition?
3. I hear where it finds old coins deep, but is it a good relic machine?
4. How long has this model been around? Does it only have concentric coils available?

Thanks in advance for the input.

BTW, probably the wrong place to post this, but it is as good as anywhere-- If you have one to sell for a reasonable price, PM me.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pointman, the CZ-3D is an awesome machine as are all the CZ's. I had a 3D then sold it. I kept my CZ-5 and really love it. 3 simple tones, low for iron, mid for tabs/gold/foil, high for coins/silver.
The recovery speeds are lightning fast, great auto tune am modes. They are simple to run with the 3D having 4 tones and CZ-5 only having 3. Most people who relic hunt prefer the CZ 5 over the 3D.
There are only 3 concentric coils available for CZ's. A 5" solid coil, an 8" and 10.5 Spider coil.
The 3D is setup to hit high tones on certain older coins and some gold, but for me I pretty much dig anything above iron anyway, so I liked the 3tones of the cz5 over the 4 tones of the 3D.

The only downside they aren't the best balanced machines, but with the 8" and 5" coils it's not too bad. They are also hipmountable, which is a great feature for those long hunts.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also look for a CZ made in Los Banos, CA plant and NASA Tom tuned. They are several inches deeper than the ones made after Fisher was moved to Texas. I think they would be an excellent machine in competition hunt. They have a VCO pinpoint/ AM mode that reminds me of a vaquero. As a matter of fact using a CZ is like hunting with a multitone Vaquero other than the weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fletch, thanks for the advice. I know that you know what your talking about. I remember when you listed your CZ3D.

I am still open for more info on these machines.....

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on the CZ by any means, being new to them this year, but have researched them and studied their features pretty extensively. I recommend getting both of NASA Toms videos also. One is for land and the other for beach detecting, but I learned things about the CZ in both that apply to all types of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread