Fisher Gold Bug Pro vs Tesoro Lobo Super TRAQ

Flip a coin. Pretty much the same machine, only the Lobo Super Traq has a lifetime warranty.

Flip a coin. Pretty much the same machine, only the Lobo Super Traq has a lifetime warranty.

Thank you for the reply...My main concern about these two detectors one is auto ground balance and the other is manual...What are to pros and cons of each? Sorry for the noob questions...

More people (use) the Gold Bug Pro and more people (buy) the Gold Bug Pro because it is by far more versatile than the LST. In my hands and others the GBP has more depth on tiny gold (Steve Hershbach seems to agree with me) because it has manual ground balance, hence it works better in harsher soils. The GMZ is an entry-level model which is more like the LST. Automatic GB pushes the balance between positive and negative voltage in the LST because there is a variance of + or - 5% balance of the ideal operative or audible threshold in almost all (so erroneously-called) automatic GB detectors, with gain that high. I can't draw a graph here, but it is how it is. In the case of a lower priced Tesoro the opposite is usually true for coin hunting in high salt or black sand, but not in the case of nugget hunting, the gain is weaker, therefore (not) driving it clear into the abyss so positive, or negative, or for such a long duration chattering so much all the time. In fact a Silver uMax works better BY FAR than a Tejon on our ocean and inland soils here, but that's another subject, another discussion. . In other words though, the LST lacks the fine tuning capability of the GBP - clearly needed for better (and deeper) nugget hunting with such a machine as the above mentioned, and gold hunters here are keenly aware of it too. I live in gold country, the (home) of Whites Metal Detectors right down the street. The LST is almost never seen around here, in the local multi-brand shops, or anywhere else for that matter. And it's because the Fishers and Whites work better in this bad, nasty, high Fe, gold hunting country. The LST isn't a "bad" gold detector, but it's not the best either. When the owners of the local multi-brand shop here go to Arizona to hunt nuggets (they often do), they ALWAYS take a GBP, GB2, or GB, or all three of them. They also bring a Minelab GPX 5000 for the big ones. To the best of my knowledge they never do take a LST. I've seen a couple of them in pawn shops locally, but never a GB of any configuration or any age in a pawn shop or anywhere else in gold fever town. Or anywhere else for that matter within 220 miles of here, not even near Gold Hill, Oregon or Jacksonville, Oregon, both gold rush boom town areas. I hope this helps.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi Larry.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post with a very informative post...Thanks Again...

More people (use) the Gold Bug Pro and more people (buy) the Gold Bug Pro because it is by far more versatile than the LST. In my hands and others the GBP has more depth on tiny gold (Steve Hershbach seems to agree with me) because it has manual ground balance, hence it works better in harsher soils. The GMZ is an entry-level model which is more like the LST. Automatic GB pushes the balance between positive and negative voltage in the LST because there is a variance of + or - 5% balance of the ideal operative or audible threshold in almost all (so erroneously-called) automatic GB detectors, with gain that high. I can't draw a graph here, but it is how it is. In the case of a lower priced Tesoro the opposite is usually true for coin hunting in high salt or black sand, but not in the case of nugget hunting, the gain is weaker, therefore (not) driving it clear into the abyss so positive, or negative, or for such a long duration chattering so much all the time. In fact a Silver uMax works better BY FAR than a Tejon on our ocean and inland soils here, but that's another subject, another discussion. . In other words though, the LST lacks the fine tuning capability of the GPB - clearly needed for better (and deeper) nugget hunting with such a machine as the above mentioned, and gold hunters here are keenly aware of it too. I live in gold country, the (home) of Whites Metal Detectors right down the street. The LST is almost never seen around here, in the local multi-brand shops, or anywhere else for that matter. And it's because the Fishers and Whites work better in this bad, nasty, high Fe, gold hunting country. The LST isn't a "bad" gold detector, but it's not the best either. When the owners of the local multi-brand shop here go to Arizona to hunt nuggets (they often do), they ALWAYS take a GBP, GB2, or GB, and a GMZ, or all four of them. They also bring a Minelab GPX 5000 for the big ones. To the best of my knowledge they never do take a LST. I've seen a couple of them in pawn shops locally, but never a GB of any configuration or any age in a pawn shop or anywhere else in gold fever town. Or anywhere else for that matter within 220 miles of here, not even near Gold Hill, Oregon or Jacksonville, Oregon, both gold rush boom town areas. I hope this helps.

Larry

Any time Harpo, that's what we do here..:icon_thumleft:

Larry

Unless you really know your LST, you may unknowingly 'track out' small nuggets as the tracking needs to always 'see' the ground surrounding the target. Dave johnson quit using tracking on his newer designs for this reason. I actually prefer the manual GB on the GB Pro.

never used those machines, all I can say is that automatic GB is easier to use, but manual GB gives you an edge

The Gold Bug Pro weighs less, has full on screen target identification while in all metal mode, and can be manually ground balanced in both all metal AND discrimination modes. The Lobo is factory preset GB in disc mode. The disc system on the Gold Bug Pro features a two tone audio id with variable break point. The Gold Bug Pro also costs less.

Only plus for the Lobo is it might be easier for some people to learn. Very forgiving in all metal auto track mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back