gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I see some of the guys are feeling a little bit concerned about their F machines. Maybe they have second thoughts. Not in a million years.

Ian posted not long ago lookin' for some news out there, trying to shake things up a bit. He's confident and knows the Fishers are killer. Then he goes out and pulls three large cents like its a frikkin cake walk.

Socks seems to be spending some time down at the grab-bag table at the local free coin store (special prizes of jewelry in every bag). How did you do that anyway?

We haven't heard too much from our friend the Badger. Wont be long now.

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the F70 out for 4 days in a row. I thinks it will be a great machine but I am amazed at all the different settings. Considering ALL my previous MD'ing experience was on a 1265X where I did nothing more than turn the dial on my sensitivity knob or adjust the discrimination and than listen to the sweet analog signal I shouldn't be surprised by how slow I am with this learning curve. I hunted some older homes in town and found a lot of clad and 6 wheaties. Nothing was deeper than 4 inches. I used 4H and just about went nuts. Each swing giving so many different sounds I find it hard to concentrate. Yesterday I went to the old fairground and I finally found an area where I could run at 99 sens, 9 thres. I used 1F for the tone I found it much easier to hear the deep signals. I only hunted for about an hour but I dug a 8" deep 1914S Lincoln. Too bad copper corrodes so bad. It was all green with tumors on it. One odd thing about yesterday was when I switched to "AT" I couldn't get the screen to give any read outs. Occasionally a nail number would pop up but almost none of the other targets ID'ed. I have more time tonight after work so I hope to figure it out.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This season I started out hunting (with my F75) in "1F" tones. I kind of like it.

Here are the results of an hour at a town park. Tons of trash - but a 1906 Barber and a 1927 wheat in amongst all the bottle caps and tabs. I passed on the tab ranges signals, or anything that didn't repeat well in different sweep angles, buit after that Barber I started to dig a few iffies - hense the aluminum caps.

I figure any time I am finding wheats I am in a potential silver area. The Barber was at 5", but in the worst of the trash within a few feet of the picnic pavilion. The park has mostly surface coins and a few deeper nickels and cents . . . so I am assuming it has been detected before.

The threaded steel rod was below a dime and almost buried vertical. I pulled the dime and my pinpointer said there was more in the hole (I had my discrimination set at "6"). Good unmasking for any detector not to null with that much steel/iron in line with a coin.

Attachments

• HPIM1359.JPG
    HPIM1359.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 460
  • HPIM1359.JPG
    HPIM1359.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 443

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Oh yeah gleaner - the F series sure is killer. Charlie knows that and as you can see from his finds - he practices what he preaches about that F75! Nice job Charlie!

You know what - this is a good place to post my newest hunting method, if anyone cares to try it. I combined the methods of a couple of the best relic hunters I know and tweaked it to work great. Others may be doing this, but it's new to me and this thing pushes that F75 to the OUTER limits - tonight I pulled 4 coins out of an area that I went over with the same F75 several times in the past. I'm not kidding if you can handle this setup - you WILL reap huge rewards.

In Disc mode, ground balance the F75 VERY VERY carefully. What I mean is use fast grab in one area to get it in the ballpark - then do it again a few feet away and again and again. Get that number rock solid. Better yet - if you have the FX-1 probe - fast grab with that switched on to get the most precise GB possible. THEN - switch over to the all metal side of the screen and down to manual ground balance. Increase the balance by exactly 3 points (for instance increase 72 up to 75). THEN swtich back over to disc mode. Run that puppy in disc this way: JE mode; Disc at 6, Sensitivity 90+, and 1 tone. I can't stress the 1 tone enough - I've been finding that it totally LOCKS on to targets like a vice grip.

With that setup - you will get better depth than you have ever imagined possible. My results are incredible at cellar holes in this setup. The slight increase in GB somehow takes the EDGE off of the high JE sensitivity settings. It increases stability a great deal. Combine that with the 1 tone and lower disc settings - this machine is locking onto tiny targets very very deep. I dug a wheat on edge that was nearly 10" deep tonight. I missed that previously with my regular settings. Later in my hunt I got lazy and bumped up the Disc to 25 - and I STILL got another deep coin that I may have missed in the past. It also appears to have great target unmasking abilities - espescially if you go slow near the foundation or nail beds.

Short of the ALL METAL mode - I don't think there is a hotter way to run this machine than that, folks. If I can find one, I'll pass it along! Here's those large cents that Gleaner mentioned -

Ian

Attachments

• DSC01972.JPG
    DSC01972.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC01971.JPG
    DSC01971.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC01975.JPG
    DSC01975.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 427
  • DSC01975.JPG
    DSC01975.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC01971.JPG
    DSC01971.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 422
  • DSC01972.JPG
    DSC01972.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 425

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Agreed, I wouldn't use anything but the single tone mode, the others, in my opinion, are just a distraction. Richard

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
More great tips going into my F75 file, much appreciated by F75 owners. I tended to think that multi-tone had advantages, but I'm still stuck in the cz20 rut (3-tone), no TID on that machine. I would search in all metal, get a good weak hit, turn to low scrim (one click) and if it didn't have any low iron grunt, it was recovered, usually a deep coin. All these tips will be a help when I finally get my hands on the F75 in a week or two.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I'd found a large cent today. I was in a small town park on a floodplain and got an "78" hit near a tree-line that showed 9" with the trigger pinpoint. I dug and hit two 3/4" diameter roots at about 6" with maybe 2" between them. Unfortunately, the park keeper was watching me (I'd asked permission earlier and he said "Make sure you don't leave big holes!") so I didn't want to chop out a huge hole. I slid my digger between the roots and tried to smush the soil into thin wedges and pull it up stuck to the digger. Sure enough, from 8 or 9 inches down on the second try I got this red tinged large coin. "WOO HOO! LARGE CENT!" I'm thinking . . . but it just didn't look right when I carefully seperated it from the sticking dirt.

Don't know if the picture does them justice, but every coin I dug that was more than 4" or so from that park was tinted red - memorial cents, wheatie, Rosie clad dimes and three Washington quarters??? 1985, 86 and 87. Not all that old, and quarters usually read "81" These all read 78 to 80 on the display. The Rosie is a '65. I dug a Kennedy half last Friday from 15 miles away in a similar river-side park that was also tinted red?? WHAZUPWIHTHAT? This whole area had bad floods in 2006 and there is a lot of silt on top of what would otherwise be shallow clad. Wonder what is in the soil that's tinting the clad? It's usually just dark gray or brown looking and dark.

Attachments

• HPIM1393s.jpg
    HPIM1393s.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 387
  • HPIM1377s.jpg
    HPIM1377s.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 384

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread