tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is new to me. I could see these indigenous people making hooks from a native metal that would be easy to fashion into a fish hook. Eating was very important to these people. More so that having gold to just sit around and covet.

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I wouldn't mind accidentally stepping on one of those in the sand/mud.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold being as soft as it is, wouldn't the fishhooks just bend out when a fish is on a line ? It doesn't take much strength to bend 24k gold..

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is new to me. I could see these indigenous people making hooks from a native metal that would be easy to fashion into a fish hook. Eating was very important to these people. More so that having gold to just sit around and covet.
Realistically, what other metals did they have ? I'm not aware that they used bronze or copper or iron in South America .. Just a thought..

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold being as soft as it is, wouldn't the fishhooks just bend out when a fish is on a line ? It doesn't take much strength to bend 24k gold..
My guess is it was for smaller fish. While you are right about gold being soft with respect to other metals, it all has to do with force exerted on it. Just a little bit of pressure from human hands is actually a good bit of force. Now a small fish exerting all of it's strength is another story. I don't know the exact science, but I'm sure the design of the bend and gap to the point helps distribute force and negates leverage the fish might have in the water.

Also, technique of the fisherman probably plays a big role. Reaction time from the bite to the pull and the amount of force exerted by the fisherman to set the hook is important. No need to apply more than is needed. What I would wonder is the strength of the line that they made. No monofilament back then. hahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread