IMG_0405.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 220

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
My friend Charlie catches gar all the time...what do ya do with them? Are they good eating fish?

No matter, I think I'll stick with my Lake Erie walleye and perch:)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you night fish with the bow also?On the Potomac River here in Maryland we put a hurtin' on the carp,sometime's me and my buddy have to tag-team them....Biggest one is just a little over 25lb.'s.We get some gar but there closer to some of the brackish water's leading into the Chesapeake Bay.Awesome job guy's :thumbsup:

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
vibes said:
My friend Charlie catches gar all the time...what do ya do with them? Are they good eating fish?

No matter, I think I'll stick with my Lake Erie walleye and perch:)
myself i dont care to much for them,i like trout, reds and flounder.gar not to bad grilled with beer butter and seasoning

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve,
Hope you don't mind but I lightened that pic up a bit to show a little more. I'll pull it if you want. pb

Attachments

• fishing2.jpg
    fishing2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 257
OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
packerbacker said:
Hey Steve,
Hope you don't mind but I lightened that pic up a bit to show a little more. I'll pull it if you want. pb
not a problem,right after this shot the gar did a tail dance and the kid damn neer threw his rod down and ran for shore.i had to yell at him keep the tip up.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That first pic don't begin to do justice to the fight he probably had. We need a pic of that tail dance thing they do, as most folks probably won't believe it. I can't get one up here. I need to run down there and go bowfishin at least once more before I fade away.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
RGINN said:
That first pic don't begin to do justice to the fight he probably had. We need a pic of that tail dance thing they do, as most folks probably won't believe it. I can't get one up here. I need to run down there and go bowfishin at least once more before I fade away.
you would think they would put up a better fight but not until they get about a hundered pounds.i use 20-25 pound test wih a steel leader.the guy in the background is the boys father.i took him fishing he's from austin, city boy.the first time he seen me have one hooked it did a tail dance i ran twards the water he thought i was crazy he didnt know what it was.i only had about 40yards on a bait caster so i had to make up some drag.he hooked up on one about 80 pounds once and when it got close to shore i jumped in kicked it in its tail,lol.it went nuts headed twards travis he fell down the gar turned and broke the line and got away.all in about 3inches of water.you are always welcome to my house and we''ll hook up on some gar anytime.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They get huge. Always fun to catch. Have never eaten one though. They get big in the Tn River.
Good for that kid. Life is grand.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just count yer finger afterward --gars are mean ole critters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions