tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
20130110_163129.jpg 20130110_163213.jpg 20130110_163311.jpg coppertwist2.JPG PotteryPendant2.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the copper twist is called a Kaskaskia Point..used by the Seminoles who visited the ancient mounds on their desperate way to avoid Adzehol Andrew Jackson during the 1st Seminole War and continued into the Second Seminole War in FL.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, love the pendant...

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't beat those finds! I do like the work on the scraper also.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those unifacial pieces and the incised pendant (pottery?) are killers on their own! Would you show us the flaking on the scrapers/limaces?

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Great lookin pendant, don’t have a pottery one..Yours is made from a Weeden Island sherd,, most likely picked up later an fashioned....And a rare Bola or club head, Ben Waller found one in association with a Clovis, or Suwannee, can’t remember which, in an underwater cave..( fla. anthropologist) I think think th article was titled a Suwannee club head.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
I would call that first tool a “ flaked adz “ whatever, that is a most beautiful specimen.
That twisted steel has soo much sexy appeal. (ha) I will try and remember to get more, better pics of a tinker but they don’t necessarily come down to a sharp point, I believe they were attached to a leather thong on the small end, another thing I would like to study more. 670AE118-BBAE-4C23-9990-DBE18A03035E.jpeg
No size ref. guessing about 2/3 as long

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Great lookin pendant, don’t have a pottery one..Yours is made from a Weeden Island sherd,, most likely picked up later an fashioned....And a rare Bola or club head, Ben Waller found one in association with a Clovis, or Suwannee, can’t remember which, in an underwater cave..( fla. anthropologist) I think think th article was titled a Suwannee club head.

You about answered my next questions. Pendant and clubs.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the copper twist is called a Kaskaskia Point..used by the Seminoles who visited the ancient mounds on their desperate way to avoid Adzehol Andrew Jackson during the 1st Seminole War and continued into the Second Seminole War in FL.

Kaskaskia is a river in IL and also the name of an IL Indian tribe. I wonder how that point got a northern name clear down there? Gary

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kaskaskia is a river in IL and also the name of an IL Indian tribe. I wonder how that point got a northern name clear down there? Gary

Well some Yankee Snowbird Indian came down for winter and as usual told everyone in Florida how they "do it up north"!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Historical Period Trade Points are reported to be traded by the British, French and others from the 1600s on. By the latter half of the 17th century, Native Americans had become highly skilled metalworkers. (A New England Typology...).

I believe this reference refers to trade points only, as there are Great Lakes copper ore artifacts noted from earlier periods.

Conical Trade Points are attributed to French traders and are referred to as Kaskaskia from the Eastern Central to the Gulf Coastal regions (OVERSTREET).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Google has it LOL. Wasn't named in FL until 1981. Had to have some name for basically the same point made by native americans out of re-used non native copper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread