What's new

flat button ID

RJH02

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2007
Messages
438
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently found these two flat buttons and after I cleaned them up I started to see some backmarks on them but decided to stop cleaning them before I lost any more detail on them. I cant make out anything on the one with the gold gilt on it but the other one I think says Water..... on it. Are these early 1800's style buttons? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • PICT0016b.webp
    PICT0016b.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 224
  • PICT0017b.webp
    PICT0017b.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 223
  • PICT0019a.webp
    PICT0019a.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 213
Probably 19th century...The writing on the back is usually the maker....Or it will say gilt.


Blaze.
 
Upvote 0
RJH02 wrote:
> Are these early 1800's style buttons?

In a word... yes. If you want more-detailed info...

The firm which soon became the Scovill companies began making buttons in Waterbury CT in 1802. But most buttons with "Waterbury" spelled out in the backmark date from the 1820s or later. The 1-piece buttons in your photo date from the 1820s through about the 1840s.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like Warranted... then maybe Standard.
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies and info. Iron Patch, I think you are right on the money with what it says. I've found one a day for the past two days, hoping for another today.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom