Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job! Looks like you put a lot of work into the base. A time saver and A must in some locations.

I've been using one for about 9 years now, been thru a few different designs, each time I've adjusted as I seen needed. One of my first was using the PVC pipe similar to yours. As I got closer to 70 I went to a lighter design, using the largest pool noodle I could find, 4 inch, trimmed bread tray, mesh with no PVC.

Also I stole the idea of a cart to carry my stuff on the long walks to the beach from Carter Pennington of Detector Pro.
SNAG-0015.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Q

qtrs-xcite-me

Mar 28, 2022
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
float sieve 13.jpg

When I first posted my take on a floating sieve, I used the terminology that I found used by others. In reality, that is a misnomer as the real intent for the device is a floating sorting platform. Treasure can be very small, such as stud earrings, and if I get the treasure onto my platform, I want it to stay there until I can locate it with my pinpointer. So the "sieve" must have no metal used in the construction. The holes should be sized to allow water and fine sand particles to sift thru, but retain everything else. I used .25 inch holes in the bottom plate. The bottom plate was made from the removable top from a 2005 Corvette, because I had the material and it was a nice thick ABS type plastic that should hold up well. The above picture is my sieve in use on its trial run. The sieve, as pictured, holds 3 full scoops from my beach scoop, which is more than I expect to have in it when sorting. With that much weight in it, the float is riding about 50% submerged and water is in with the material to be sorted. When viewing one of the commercial products, I noted the user had to force the float down to get water into the sorting area to assist with sorting. I sized this for a 12" by 18" interior space and used .75" (ID) PVC pipe for the sides and standard pool noodles which the pipe will go thru with some lubrication. Total cost was under $7 for purchased material and if I had built "in season" for pool noodles could have been less.

Reactions: OBN

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That a great cost. Mine run about 30.oo, simple and quick to make. I have use two different size meshes, one is 1/16 inch, the other is 5/16ths.
SNAG-0013.jpg

OBN-0014 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread