Florence and Cripple Creek Railroad Lock!!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out yesterday evening hoping the construction workers would have left since it was Friday. They were working late trying to finish before the weekend. I thought I would hit up another permission that hasn't been that productive. You never know what your going to come home with when you walk out the door. The Fl in the lock is crusted in that hard iron you have to scrape off with a pocket knife. Any ideas how to clean it a little better. It's kinda the holy grail of western railroad locks!!! Happy Hunting out there.

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_195357552.jpg
    IMG_20240301_195357552.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20240301_195417223.jpg
    IMG_20240301_195417223.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
Upvote 28
There can't be a lot of those locks around I'm thinking. That's a pretty significant piece of Colorado railroad history. The condition looks pretty good and best of all complete. TN does have a forum which you might post your question about cleaning. It should be done properly imo.

Last edited:
There can't be a lot of those locks around I'm thinking. That's a pretty significant piece of Colorado railroad history. The condition looks pretty good and best of all complete. TN does have a forum which you might post your question about cleaning. It should be done properly imo.
Thanks tamrock. I agree, thanks for the tip!!!

I like this description:
"At many places the canon is so narrow, the massive walls of broken rock, ages ago heaved from the bowels of the earth, seem overlapping, overtowering and melting one into the other! A hand stretched from the window can often pluck the daisies, columbines and posies which grow in profusion along the rough and rugged walls, oderous with masses of beautiful wild flowers."
Source: http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/01main/railroads/fcc/1902-07-guide2ccd_fcc-ad-txt.php
Don in SoCal

I like this description:
"At many places the canon is so narrow, the massive walls of broken rock, ages ago heaved from the bowels of the earth, seem overlapping, overtowering and melting one into the other! A hand stretched from the window can often pluck the daisies, columbines and posies which grow in profusion along the rough and rugged walls, oderous with masses of beautiful wild flowers."
Source: http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/01main/railroads/fcc/1902-07-guide2ccd_fcc-ad-txt.php
Don in SoCal
Thanks Don, I really love this a lot!!!

Thanks tamrock. I agree, thanks for the tip!!!
It's been awhile, but back when I first moved to the upper Arkansas Valley in the late 1970s I'd go to the library and check out all the books to read about Colorados early railroads of the late 19th, early 20th century. About 3 months ago I picked up this folding post card up at a thrift store with colored images along some of mountain rail lines of that era. So many people came to Colorado during those times just to ride those trains for pleasure through the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I read in one book that some of the trains would stop in the high mountain meadows, so passengers could get out to pick wild flowers. I thought those might be good places to metal detect with all those folks bending down to pick as many flowers in only a limited time, they'd be in a bit of a rush and if they lost something there was not a lot of time to look for it because trains had a strict schedule to keep.

Attachments

• 20240302_060441.jpg
    20240302_060441.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 20240302_060433.jpg
    20240302_060433.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240302_060911.jpg
    20240302_060911.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
It's been awhile, but back when I first moved to the upper Arkansas Valley in the late 1970s I'd go to the library and check out all the books to read about Colorados early railroads of the late 19th, early 20th century. About 3 months ago I picked up this folding post card up at a thrift store with colored images along some of mountain rail lines of that era. So many people came to Colorado during those times just to ride those trains for pleasure through the beautiful Rocky Mountains. I read in one book that some of the trains would stop in the high mountain meadows, so passengers could get out to pick wild flowers. I thought those might be good places to metal detect with all those folks bending down to pick as many flowers in only a limited time, they'd be in a bit of a rush and if they lost something there was not a lot of time to look for it because trains had a strict schedule to keep.
I went
I stopped at one I found and found a buckle. I would sure like to spend some time at the picnic spots along the railroad stops. There is a great picture of the Midland at one of those wildflower excursions.

I like all things railroad...some of my prize finds are related..great part of history.
Awesome switch lock! Great condition
Now go get the key!
Thanks Ironhorse, I have my grandfather's Railroad lantern from when he worked on the switches!! !! I definitely have plans to go over in a few hours, I seem to never keep my hopes up so i don't disappoint myself. It would be cool!!

Congrats on a great find !
It's entirely up to you but ... I clean all my old brass Padlocks in a Electrolysis Bath.
Then I detail them with "Andre Pencils" and or Extra Fine Steel Wool.

Congrats on a great find !
It's entirely up to you but ... I clean all my old brass Padlocks in a Electrolysis Bath.
Then I detail them with "Andre Pencils" and or Extra Fine Steel Wool.
Thanks, there is a guy that does it professionally, but will want an arm and a leg to do it. I might give it a try!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back