What's new

Florida artifact odds and ends

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just rearranging and figured I'd post a few photos.
Wood working tools made from the lip section of the queen conch shell.
ForumRunner_20130808_104355.webp

Broken queen conch adze and celt tools.

ForumRunner_20130808_104509.webp


ForumRunner_20130808_104820.webp

More wood working tools

ForumRunner_20130808_104945.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks .. soooo happy I had the presence of mind and a camera that day.
..
rock... I caught 15 mackerel up to seven pounds in two hours just outside the St. Lucie inlet.
 
That tiny Olivella bead, the shell half-cone thingy and that figure 8 shapish shell scraper thingy all blow my mind! Boom-Poof!!

That Duval is one of the nicest classic examples for the (sub)type I have ever seen in anyone's collection from FL!!!! It's Banner. (Note the diamond cross section@@@!!! muhaha)

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tomclark/media/cassina.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tomclark/media/img1286896837039.jpg.html

Ka-Pes-Ka-Da "Shellman"
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tomclark/media/kapeskada.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tomclark/media/_pr07198.jpg.html

These three?.. MMMmmuuuhuuhaha! LOL.

ForumRunner_20130810_171804.webp



ForumRunner_20130810_172048.webp



ForumRunner_20130810_172219.webp



ForumRunner_20130810_172622.webp



ForumRunner_20130810_172835.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130810_170308.webp
    ForumRunner_20130810_170308.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I don't know what to say G.B., but DANG that is some nice artifacts:notworthy:
 
Thanks..I hadn't posted anything in a while so I just threw some out there.
 
yep, dem's da three~!
 
Hmmmm....
Sometimes I still have a hard time believing that blue point is a Duval because of how well made it is ...was just looking at this and it got me thinking.

ForumRunner_20150605_104249.webp



ForumRunner_20150605_104317.webp



ForumRunner_20150605_104329.webp

It still has shades of Bolen to me also

IMG-20130705-WA0005-1-enhanced.webp
 
Very Cool Finds! Like that shell pendant.
 
Thanks o.d.
 
Thanks this thread is a couple years old just felt like throwing that information on here
 
its a real nice looking point
 
Great looking Florida artifacts guys.

This is my Florida assemblage. Some pretty nice pieces in this group.
 

Attachments

  • Florida Artifacts (7).webp
    Florida Artifacts (7).webp
    80.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Florida Artifacts (5).webp
    Florida Artifacts (5).webp
    77.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Florida Artifacts (4).webp
    Florida Artifacts (4).webp
    74.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Florida Artifacts (3).webp
    Florida Artifacts (3).webp
    75.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Florida Artifacts (2).webp
    Florida Artifacts (2).webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Florida Artifacts (8).webp
    Florida Artifacts (8).webp
    84.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Florida Artifacts (15).webp
    Florida Artifacts (15).webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Florida Artifacts (17).webp
    Florida Artifacts (17).webp
    22 KB · Views: 82
  • Florida Artifacts (19).webp
    Florida Artifacts (19).webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Florida Artifacts (21).webp
    Florida Artifacts (21).webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 86
I was wondering about the hole in the chonch shells, so I googled "conch with holes" and found a nice "American Anthropologist" (Vol. 23, 1920) article here

The author has illustrations (p. 15) showing how a handle could be halfted. Around p. 16 he also mentions that some Indians cut a hole to help release the conch from the shell.

a8f5b17b-2155-4247-8f40-2507e9edd837_zpsn2miv4ps.png




Thanks for spurring my thinking.

--GHP
 
Busycon Whelk shell adze
(Professor Shellman)

ForumRunner_20150607_070521.webp



20120908_183518.webp



20120908_184431.webp
 
Conch shell adze cut from shell body.
Some are cut from lip

ForumRunner_20150607_070926.webp



ForumRunner_20150607_070955.webp
 
Last edited:
Different style whelk adze.
Thanks for posting Grim

ForumRunner_20150607_161238.webp



ForumRunner_20150607_163026.webp
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20150607_161348.webp
    ForumRunner_20150607_161348.webp
    107.2 KB · Views: 93

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom