Florida Enthusiast

rasowell30

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the site and have always has a passion for Native American life. I studied it in college and devoted 4 years of learning to locations and all types of case studies for Native American history. I have grown up in North Florida in the heart of Arrowhead country, but now i live in Fort Myers and very green when it comes to Native American artifacts in this area. Im curious to know if there are any other people here from the area that are willing to open up and help someone that is a major enthusiast. I have a very close friend that is a FWC officer so Im not talking about anything illegal but i do enjoy looking and being in the outdoors searching. If anyone is willing to help out it would be greatly appreciated. I am not familiar with the area and do not know many people that have private land willing to allow someone they just met just walk around on their property. Any advice or someone to go with on weekends would be great. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Richie

Upvote 0

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Richie,

The "Rock Line" in FL goes across the state from just below Tampa Bay across the state. Below that line, there are much fewer lithics due to not having the resource available all the time. The only advice I could give for your region is to try to get permission to walk properties that have shell middens on them, or what's left of them and remember how far they might have gone to hunt from home, that's where the lost hunting points are, near creeks/water upland from the beaches. Probably where one sees tree stands now! There was a lot more Seminole Wars action down there than we had up in Tampa Bay. There's some fort action down there somewhere, probably none on private property. Fort Meyers isn't all that far from many large Calusa occupation sites, even wet sites, like Marco Island and Pine Island. Sites are everywhere down there. Warning, warning Will Robinson!

OP
OP
R

rasowell30

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, not sure what the warning means but thanks for the info!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
The warning is just that. Florida regulations about State Lands and Waters and now SWFWMD property and usually city/county property.
Misdemeanor if you just pick up an artifact. Felony if you scratch/dig/etc. Find private property with permission and TAKE IT!!!!
Boom!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right. Florida's government seems to be out of control on your public lands at the moment. Make sure your hunts are legal and like he says once you have permission on private lands enjoy the hobby.

OP
OP
R

rasowell30

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tom and tnm thank you that exactly what my friend thats a FWC agent said.

Thanks,
Rich

OP
OP
R

rasowell30

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
indian fire box.jpg

Here is one thing i have found, my professor and I are about 99% sure is a fire box, used to transfer hot coals and fire from one site to the next.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda what i thought but it was charred inside like it had been burnt.

Wouldnt of burned if it had a hot coal inside of it? It is wood isnt it.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of forest fires here in Fl. would do the same thing. Stick with rock and shell! Your prof. needs to get out side more. I like your pun Tom. :) There are a lot of shell artifacts where you live.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread